Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de> on 2015/08/04 19:13:40 UTC

SVN sandbox (was: Re: 2.0 is now alpha)

On 08/04/2015 05:52 PM, Werner Keil wrote:
> To allow parallel approaches (not only at events like Hackathons) someone
> even before the restructuring created this
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/devicemap/branches/2.0/classifiers/ but
> it's empty, and the name "classifiers" does not seem to make as much sense
> there any more. While "data" probably makes no more sense, now that 2.0
> development is done on trunk rather than a "feature branch" could we
> consider this a sort of "sandbox" for new ideas like alternate JSON parsers
> or even new language ports?

I'd rather suggest to create a dedicated "sandbox" folder at the top
level SVN folder, sibling to "trunk". i.e. [1]. Within that each
commiter can create her/his own folder (typically named ApacheID) for
experiments. Other Apache projects like httpd or directory also have this.

If the branch above doesn't contain anything and isn't used anymore, why
not just delete it? But this should be decided by the creator (Reza).

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/devicemap/sandbox/

Re: SVN sandbox (was: Re: 2.0 is now alpha)

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
No problem with that, it's what e.g. Tamaya did and I also suggested
earlier.
In that case the logical step for this 2.0 branch would be to clean it up.
IMHO (see what we succesfully do at JavaMoney, one of my ACE talks are
about a "sandbox" project for Groovy) adding new languages would also bests
be in a "sandbox" to see how it goes and then (with PMC vote) consider
making it official.

Kind Regards,
Werner

Re: SVN sandbox

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 08/04/2015 11:52 PM, Werner Keil wrote:
> Coming back to what Stefan actually asked, he may not have noticed the
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/devicemap/whiteboard/ folder when he
> suggested something like https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/devicemap/sandbox/
> .
>
> The way Sling uses "whiteboard" is comparable to Tamaya's "sandbox" folder,
> so either one would work, just gotta decide which one to use (or create if
> it's one that does not exist)

Sure, the already existing "whiteboard" folder sounds good too.

Re: SVN sandbox (was: Re: 2.0 is now alpha)

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Done.

At least most try to help and collaborate while one still keeps breathing
fire and brimstone on regular occasions;-|

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 11:52 PM, Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Coming back to what Stefan actually asked, he may not have noticed the
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/devicemap/whiteboard/ folder when he
> suggested something like https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/devicemap/sandbox/..

/whiteboard sounds good to me for experiments, as you say that's how
we do it in Sling, at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sling/whiteboard/

-Bertrand

Re: SVN sandbox (was: Re: 2.0 is now alpha)

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
All are previews clearly tagged RCx, there is just one redundant tag
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/devicemap/tags/devicemap/java/1.0.0/ but
it contains the "classfier" client, not simpleddr.

Just like <
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/sling/tags/healthcheck-before-SLING-2987/>
which was not tagged for a release, but nevertheless to mark a known state
of that artifact or project.

Tags like >
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/devicemap/tags/data/devicemap-data-1.0.1/
should