Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Lars Heuer <he...@semagia.com> on 2005/04/01 14:35:56 UTC

[functor] Still maintained?

Hi all,

Is the commons.functor package still under active development?

Would it be wise to rely on the functor package for developing domain
specific functors or would it be better to use mango or something
else?

Thanks & best regards,
Lars
--
http://semagia.com

Re: [functor] Still maintained?

Posted by paul womack <pw...@papermule.co.uk>.
paul womack wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 14:35 +0200, Lars Heuer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is the commons.functor package still under active development?
>>

>> AFAIK it's hibernating
>>
>> (it used to be very active and maybe one day it'll be active again.)
>

> I'm confused. Do you mean the rather wonderful stuff in
> org.apache.commons.collections.functors?
>
> Because the collections stuff is tight coupled to it.
> (predicated/transformed Collection etc).

Sorry. the OP (who's message I didn't get, BTW)
obviously meant
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/functor/
and not
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/collections/apidocs-COLLECTIONS_3_1/org/apache/commons/collections/functors/package-summary.html

The existence (and overlap) of these 2 packages is itself
a Bad Thing.

    BugBear (sill confused)

Re: [functor] Still maintained?

Posted by paul womack <pw...@papermule.co.uk>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 14:35 +0200, Lars Heuer wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Is the commons.functor package still under active development?
>

> AFAIK it's hibernating
>
> (it used to be very active and maybe one day it'll be active again.)

I'm confused. Do you mean the rather wonderful stuff in
org.apache.commons.collections.functors?

Because the collections stuff is tight coupled to it.
(predicated/transformed Collection etc).

    BugBear

Re: [functor] Still maintained?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 14:35 +0200, Lars Heuer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is the commons.functor package still under active development?

AFAIK it's hibernating

(it used to be very active and maybe one day it'll be active again.)

> Would it be wise to rely on the functor package for developing domain
> specific functors or would it be better to use mango or something
> else?

the activity (or not) of a component is not a reliable guide. small,
complete components tend to require less and less maintenance (the major
defects being ones introduced early and fixed by backwards
compatibility) and so activity tails off. though it may be tough to get
patches into mature components, there is a much smaller upgrade tax to
pay for those which are not accepted.

personally speaking, i would look at a different set of criteria
including how good the match is to your needs. how well tested the code
is and what the standard of coding looks like (from the source).

- robert