Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Me...@ibsplc.com on 2002/10/30 15:50:19 UTC

Another issueRE: Problem with unicode

thank you for the information. It worked.

Another issue is this.

In a JSP page whose charset i have defined as iso-8859-1 (using the
meta html tag), i enter arabic words using arabic keyboard (not fonts)
into a textfield. The server obtains the correct unicode characters.
No problem in that. I had earlier tested with UTF-8 but the server
could not retrieve the unicode characters.

But certian pages of the application are based on XML-XSL where the
majority of the transformation occurs at the client browser
if the browser is IE5.x. The problem i face is that even though the
xml coming out is in iso-8859-1 charset
and the xsl page which is essentailly html also has the meta html
tag's charset as iso-8859-1,
the server does nto receive the unicode characters and receives some
other character when i type in arabic.

Why is the browser not sending unicode characters when using xml-xsl,
but sends unicode correctly when the page is jsp. I am using tomcat.
Does the tomcat's jsp engine do anything to the response or request to
enable unicode charset.

                    "Xavier
                    Combelle"            To:     "Struts Users Mailing List"
                    <xcombelle@ka        <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
                    ptech.com>           cc:
                                         Subject:     RE: Problem with unicode
                    10/30/02
                    06:21 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "Struts Users
                    Mailing List"

I think you should use the attribute filter="false" of the write tag
which will disable the character filtering by struts.

see the following adress for more detailed explaination
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/struts-bean.html#write

Xavier

For additional commands, e-mail: <