Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/20 00:53:40 UTC

[ALL] Commons Parent - additional minimal site building profile?

Building the full site for a component can be quite time-consuming,
which makes checking the documentation build tedious.

Almost all the reports have "skip" parameters, so it's possible to
build up a command that only builds the component docs. This can be
saved as a shell script or alias. (Or define a profile in
settings.xml)
But those won't be available on other systems - or to other users.

Just wondering whether anyone else would find it useful to have an
(optional) profile for this?

For example, I have an alias:

mvnsite='mvn site -DskipTests -Dmaven.javadoc.skip -Dmaven.clover.skip
-Dcobertura.skip -Dfindbugs.skip -Dcheckstyle.skip -Dclirr.skip
-Dchanges.jira.skip'

It would be possible to define these props in a profile, for example
"basic" (or "docsonly" ?)

mvn site -Pbasic

This would then create a basic site without all the additional reports.

If a particular report was needed, that would be possible too:

mvn site -Pbasic -Dclirr.skip=false

Just a thought.

Re: [ALL] Commons Parent - additional minimal site building profile?

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 8:50 AM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

>> But that only works for Unix OSes; and it has to be downloaded.

You're not being serious, aren't you?

+1 to one or more profiles being added to the parent POM. These are
easily usable, regardless of the platform/development environment/etc.

Jochen

Re: [ALL] Commons Parent - additional minimal site building profile?

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

> On 20 January 2015 at 00:51, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 1/19/15 4:53 PM, sebb wrote:
> >> Building the full site for a component can be quite time-consuming,
> >> which makes checking the documentation build tedious.
> >>
> >> Almost all the reports have "skip" parameters, so it's possible to
> >> build up a command that only builds the component docs. This can be
> >> saved as a shell script or alias. (Or define a profile in
> >> settings.xml)
> >> But those won't be available on other systems - or to other users.
> >>
> >> Just wondering whether anyone else would find it useful to have an
> >> (optional) profile for this?
> >>
> >> For example, I have an alias:
> >>
> >> mvnsite='mvn site -DskipTests -Dmaven.javadoc.skip -Dmaven.clover.skip
> >> -Dcobertura.skip -Dfindbugs.skip -Dcheckstyle.skip -Dclirr.skip
> >> -Dchanges.jira.skip'
> >>
> >> It would be possible to define these props in a profile, for example
> >> "basic" (or "docsonly" ?)
> >
> > I would just commit mvnsite.sh somewhere ;)
>
> But that only works for Unix OSes; and it has to be downloaded.

I hope nobody seriously uses anything else for development ;-)

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [ALL] Commons Parent - additional minimal site building profile?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@swisspost.com>.
Hi Sebb,

sebb wrote:

> Building the full site for a component can be quite time-consuming,
> which makes checking the documentation build tedious.
>
> Almost all the reports have "skip" parameters, so it's possible to
> build up a command that only builds the component docs. This can be
> saved as a shell script or alias. (Or define a profile in
> settings.xml)
> But those won't be available on other systems - or to other users.
>
> Just wondering whether anyone else would find it useful to have an
> (optional) profile for this?
>
> For example, I have an alias:
>
> mvnsite='mvn site -DskipTests -Dmaven.javadoc.skip -Dmaven.clover.skip
> -Dcobertura.skip -Dfindbugs.skip -Dcheckstyle.skip -Dclirr.skip
> -Dchanges.jira.skip'
>
> It would be possible to define these props in a profile, for example
> "basic" (or "docsonly" ?)
>
> mvn site -Pbasic
>
> This would then create a basic site without all the additional reports.
>
> If a particular report was needed, that would be possible too:
>
> mvn site -Pbasic -Dclirr.skip=false
>
> Just a thought.

A profile is perfect. We can introduce a skip property for every type and
set all of them in the profile to false:

========== %< =========
 <profiles>
   <profile>
     <id>basic</id>
     <properties>
       <commons.skip.tests>true</commons.skip.tests>
     </properties>
   </profile>
 </profiles>
 <pluginManagement>
   <plugins>
     <plugin>
       <-- surefire G:A:V -->
       <configuration>
         <maven.test.skip.exec>${commons.skip.tests}</maven.test.skip.exec>
       </configuration>
     </plugin>
   </plugins>
 </pluginManagement>
 <properties>
   <commons.skip.tests>false</commons.skip.tests>
 </properties>

Additionally we get the advantage to run or skip individual stuff from
command line with identical pattern for the properties (or do you remember
every time the individual property names):

 mvn site -Dcommons.skip.clirr=true

 mvn site -Pbasic -Dcommons.skip.clirr=false

+1

Cheers,
Jörg