Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> on 2002/09/21 12:26:07 UTC

log4j.jar locked by Tomcat even after remove/undeploy....

This issue has been brought up before with no response....

I use Tomcat-4.1.11 and the manager app to install/remove | deploy/undeploy
| start/stop my webapp which contains log4j-1.2.6.jar in WEB-INF/lib.  What
I'd like to be able to do is uninstall or undeploy the webapp and run a
clean build.  However, whenever I do this the build fails because it cannot
delete the log4j jar file.  I've used LogManager.shutdown() in a
ServletContextListener which will get run upon being notified that the app
is shutting down.  This does not help....well, it does help in unlocking
the log file that gets written while the webapp is running which gets
written using a FileAppender, but it doesn't unlock the actual log4j jar
file.   The only way it gets unlocked is by performing a *full* shutdown of
Tomcat.

Shutting down Tomcat is unacceptable because I don't want to affect the
other apps running on the server.  I have worked around it by not doing a
full clean build and just doing a normal build which replaces files that
have changed.  However, this is very inconvenient because if I remove files
or change the names of files, I need to do a clean build to get rid of the
old ones.  Plus, I'd like to be able to zip up the build directory
structure or just remove the entire build from that location without having
to shut down Tomcat.  In both cases I get errors because the log4j jar file
is locked.

Now, I would look to Tomcat first and blame it for failing to release
resources.  However, I don't have this problem with *any* other file, jar
or otherwise.  So, it seems that Log4j must be doing something
peculiar.  However, I have yet to figure out what that is.

Can anyone help me figure out what this problem and its solution might
be?  Do we need to add a new static method called
LogManager.reallyShutdownNoIReallyMeanItJustShutdownAlready()?

Thanks,

Jake

Re[4]: log4j.jar locked by Tomcat even after remove/undeploy....

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Hello Ceki,

I'm using log4j-1.2.6.  I just tested the app after commenting out the
<load-on-startup> line for the log4j-init servlet in the web.xml.  log4j.jar is *not* locked
after shutting down the application.  I don't have to shut down the
server to release the resource in this case.

Jake

Best regards,

Re[3]: log4j.jar locked by Tomcat even after remove/undeploy....

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Which version of log4j is this? Tomcat? Can you see what happens if log4j
is not configured at all?

At 14:05 24.09.2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello Jacob,
>
>After testing with and without using configureAndWatch(), I am sorry
>to say that I get the same behavior.  The lo4j.jar is still locked
>until I shut down the whole Tomcat server.  Shutting down the current
>webapp releases *all* resource except log4j.jar.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Jake
>
>Tuesday, September 24, 2002, 10:21:42 AM, you wrote:
>

>JK> BTW, the attachment is a .zip file.  Just save it as whatever.zip and
>JK> you should be able to open it.  Don't know why the extension got
>JK> mangled so bad?
>
>JK> BTW, would using configureAndWatch() be the problem?  I'll test in a
>JK> second.  We use that by default.  I'll post back with my results to
>JK> running the app and *not* using configureAndWatch().
>
>JK> Jake
>
>JK> Tuesday, September 24, 2002, 8:34:09 AM, you wrote:
>
>JK>> Hi Ceki,
>
>JK>> Nope, we aren't using anything fancy like NTEventLogAppender.
>
>JK>> I'll attaching everything that we use in our webapp related to log4j so
>JK>> that you can see everything that is going on.  Note, we are using
>log4j-1.2.6.
>
>JK>> thanks,
>
>JK>> Jake

> need to
> clean up

> something

> log4j-1.2.6.jar in
> build
> but

> build to

> e-mail:   <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

> e-mail:   <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
>

>--
>Best regards,
>  Jacob                            mailto:hoju@visi.com
>

>--

Ceki

others. -- Jon Postel, RFC 793

Re[3]: log4j.jar locked by Tomcat even after remove/undeploy....

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Hello Jacob,

After testing with and without using configureAndWatch(), I am sorry
to say that I get the same behavior.  The lo4j.jar is still locked
until I shut down the whole Tomcat server.  Shutting down the current
webapp releases *all* resource except log4j.jar.

Any suggestions?

Jake

Tuesday, September 24, 2002, 10:21:42 AM, you wrote:

JK> BTW, the attachment is a .zip file.  Just save it as whatever.zip and
JK> you should be able to open it.  Don't know why the extension got
JK> mangled so bad?

JK> BTW, would using configureAndWatch() be the problem?  I'll test in a
JK> second.  We use that by default.  I'll post back with my results to
JK> running the app and *not* using configureAndWatch().

JK> Jake

JK> Tuesday, September 24, 2002, 8:34:09 AM, you wrote:

JK>> Hi Ceki,

JK>> Nope, we aren't using anything fancy like NTEventLogAppender.

JK>> I'll attaching everything that we use in our webapp related to log4j so
JK>> that you can see everything that is going on.  Note, we are using log4j-1.2.6.

JK>> thanks,

JK>> Jake

JK>> At 08:29 AM 9/24/2002 +0200, you wrote:

>>>Are you using NTEventLogAppender?

>>>--
>>>Ceki
>>>
>>>TCP implementations will follow a general principle of robustness: be
>>>conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from
>>>others. -- Jon Postel, RFC 793
>>>

>>>--

Best regards,

Re[2]: log4j.jar locked by Tomcat even after remove/undeploy....

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
BTW, the attachment is a .zip file.  Just save it as whatever.zip and
you should be able to open it.  Don't know why the extension got
mangled so bad?

BTW, would using configureAndWatch() be the problem?  I'll test in a
second.  We use that by default.  I'll post back with my results to
running the app and *not* using configureAndWatch().

Jake

Tuesday, September 24, 2002, 8:34:09 AM, you wrote:

JK> Hi Ceki,

JK> Nope, we aren't using anything fancy like NTEventLogAppender.

JK> I'll attaching everything that we use in our webapp related to log4j so
JK> that you can see everything that is going on.  Note, we are using log4j-1.2.6.

JK> thanks,

JK> Jake

JK> At 08:29 AM 9/24/2002 +0200, you wrote:

>>Are you using NTEventLogAppender?
>>
>>At 20:31 23.09.2002 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>>>Can someone in-the-know please comment on this?
>>>
>>>This is my last major build problem.  It really gets in the way because
>>>if I test my app in Tomcat (haven't tried other servers) and then need to
>>>shut the app down and rebuild after making some changes, I can't clean up
>>>the build because log4j.jar is locked and can't be deleted (I copy all
>>>files to a "build" directory and just delete the build directory when I
>>>want to do a clean build).
>>>
>>>Log4j.jar is the only file that is ever locked so there must be something
>>>unique about and something that isn't getting stopped.  Read below for
>>>more explanation.....
>>>
>>>Jake

>>--
>>Ceki
>>
>>TCP implementations will follow a general principle of robustness: be
>>conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from
>>others. -- Jon Postel, RFC 793
>>

>>--

Best regards,

RE: log4j.jar locked by Tomcat even after remove/undeploy....

Posted by Shawn Wilson <sh...@atmreports.com>.
This is a problem I'm having too and, like Jake, I'm not using anything like
NTEventLogAppender. I just use FileAppender, ConsoleAppender, and
DailyRollingFileAppender.

-shawn

====================================
Shawn Wilson [shawnw@atmreports.com]
Software Developer, ATMReports.com
PH: 877-327-0873, FAX: 406-294-5806
====================================

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Hi Ceki,

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Are you using NTEventLogAppender?

At 20:31 23.09.2002 -0500, you wrote:

>Can someone in-the-know please comment on this?
>
>This is my last major build problem.  It really gets in the way because if
>I test my app in Tomcat (haven't tried other servers) and then need to
>shut the app down and rebuild after making some changes, I can't clean up
>the build because log4j.jar is locked and can't be deleted (I copy all
>files to a "build" directory and just delete the build directory when I
>want to do a clean build).
>
>Log4j.jar is the only file that is ever locked so there must be something
>unique about and something that isn't getting stopped.  Read below for
>more explanation.....
>
>Jake
>
>At 05:26 AM 9/21/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>This issue has been brought up before with no response....
>>
>>I use Tomcat-4.1.11 and the manager app to install/remove |
>>deploy/undeploy | start/stop my webapp which contains log4j-1.2.6.jar in
>>WEB-INF/lib.  What I'd like to be able to do is uninstall or undeploy the
>>webapp and run a clean build.  However, whenever I do this the build
>>fails because it cannot delete the log4j jar file.  I've used
>>LogManager.shutdown() in a ServletContextListener which will get run upon
>>being notified that the app is shutting down.  This does not
>>help....well, it does help in unlocking the log file that gets written
>>while the webapp is running which gets written using a FileAppender, but
>>it doesn't unlock the actual log4j jar file.   The only way it gets
>>unlocked is by performing a *full* shutdown of Tomcat.
>>
>>Shutting down Tomcat is unacceptable because I don't want to affect the
>>other apps running on the server.  I have worked around it by not doing a
>>full clean build and just doing a normal build which replaces files that
>>have changed.  However, this is very inconvenient because if I remove
>>files or change the names of files, I need to do a clean build to get rid
>>of the old ones.  Plus, I'd like to be able to zip up the build directory
>>structure or just remove the entire build from that location without
>>having to shut down Tomcat.  In both cases I get errors because the log4j
>>jar file is locked.
>>
>>Now, I would look to Tomcat first and blame it for failing to release
>>resources.  However, I don't have this problem with *any* other file, jar
>>or otherwise.  So, it seems that Log4j must be doing something
>>peculiar.  However, I have yet to figure out what that is.
>>
>>Can anyone help me figure out what this problem and its solution might
>>be?  Do we need to add a new static method called
>>LogManager.reallyShutdownNoIReallyMeanItJustShutdownAlready()?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Jake
>>

>>--

Ceki

others. -- Jon Postel, RFC 793

Re: log4j.jar locked by Tomcat even after remove/undeploy....

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.