Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/08/30 22:56:44 UTC

Re: Using peer classes for DatabasePsmlManagerService Implementation

on 8/30/01 10:32 AM, "Atul Dambalkar" <ad...@cisco.com> wrote:

> I am thinking about concentrating on defining such a schema that will get
> easily mapped on to all databases, no SEQUENCE or any proprietary database
> specific stuff, and follow Turbine by defining a separate ID_TABLE to store
> the primary keys for rest of the tables. Then query ID_TABLE at start-up.
> That way I will only have to use Village API. I am working on the Schema
> tweaking a bit. What do you think on this approach? I am trying to get
> information from people who have better database knowledge than me.

Just use Torque. It is a much better solution than using bare bones Village.
If you define idMethod="native" in Torque, then it will cause your system to
use whatever method is native for each database to do auto-increment.

If you define idMethod="idBroker", then Torque will use the IDBroker and the
ID_TABLE.

I don't understand why you are proposing re-implementing this wheel or doing
things differently.

-jon

Re: Using peer classes for DatabasePsmlManagerService Implementation

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 9/4/01 4:28 PM, "Atul Dambalkar" <ad...@cisco.com> wrote:

> At 03:35 PM 9/4/01 -0700, you wrote:
>> on 9/4/01 12:01 PM, "Atul Dambalkar" <ad...@cisco.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am now using stand-alone Torque for the database table SQL and OM
>>> generation.
>>>
>>> I could generate the Peer classes, with idMethod="idbroker" but if I try to
>>> use "idMethod=native" it fails with the following message:
>>> ===================
>>> Error Line: 39 Row: 57 Msg: Attribute "idMethod" with value "native" must
>>> have a value from the list "(idbroker|autoincrement|sequence|none|null)".
>>> ====================
>>>
>>> Apparently, it looks that, the Torque2.1 release build doesn't seem to
>>> support "native" value. Documentation is a bit confusing. Or do I have to
>>> download a different version?
>>>
>>> -Atul
>>
>> Correct. 2.1 does not support native. It is supported in the CVS version of
>> Torque as it is a new feature.
>
> I did try that with the CVS version, but, CVS version is quite confusing.
> In it's README file it shows directory structure as:
> =============================
> Torque is an Object/Relational persistence layer.
>
> bin/        Temporary directory for building the project.
> build/      Location of Ant build.xml and build.properties files.
> examples/   Example XML Torque schemas that are part of the distribution.
> src/        Location of Java sources and Torque templates.
> xdocs/      Torque documention in Anakia formatted tags.
> ===========================
>
> and in reality, there are no "build" and "bin" directories under
> "jakarta-turbine-torque" module. I hope that's the module for the
> stand-alone version. http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-turbine-torque/

Yes, it is the future of Torque and is in development. It is currently very
stable however. Patches to improve the documentation are always welcome.
Thanks for volunteering.

> Cool! That's what I am doing now..., Please see my last email. Of-course,
> "native" would have also worked fine for me, as I really wanted to get rid
> of any sequence/auto-increment related stuff.

Well, then use the CVS version if you want 'native'. Otherwise, you are
going to have to wait until our next release.

You can always look at Scarab for an example of how we use the latest
versions of Torque.

    <http://scarab.tigris.org/>

thanks,

-jon

Re: Using peer classes for DatabasePsmlManagerService Implementation

Posted by Atul Dambalkar <ad...@cisco.com>.
At 03:35 PM 9/4/01 -0700, you wrote:
>on 9/4/01 12:01 PM, "Atul Dambalkar" <ad...@cisco.com> wrote:
>
> > I am now using stand-alone Torque for the database table SQL and OM
> > generation.
> >
> > I could generate the Peer classes, with idMethod="idbroker" but if I try to
> > use "idMethod=native" it fails with the following message:
> > ===================
> > Error Line: 39 Row: 57 Msg: Attribute "idMethod" with value "native" must
> > have a value from the list "(idbroker|autoincrement|sequence|none|null)".
> > ====================
> >
> > Apparently, it looks that, the Torque2.1 release build doesn't seem to
> > support "native" value. Documentation is a bit confusing. Or do I have to
> > download a different version?
> >
> > -Atul
>
>Correct. 2.1 does not support native. It is supported in the CVS version of
>Torque as it is a new feature.

I did try that with the CVS version, but, CVS version is quite confusing.
In it's README file it shows directory structure as:
=============================
Torque is an Object/Relational persistence layer.

bin/        Temporary directory for building the project.
build/      Location of Ant build.xml and build.properties files.
examples/   Example XML Torque schemas that are part of the distribution.
src/        Location of Java sources and Torque templates.
xdocs/      Torque documention in Anakia formatted tags.
===========================

and in reality, there are no "build" and "bin" directories under
"jakarta-turbine-torque" module. I hope that's the module for the
stand-alone version. http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-turbine-torque/

>"autoincrement" and "sequence" is deprecated in the new version because it
>doesn't make sense to hard code specific database related information into
>the .xml file.

That's correct.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by Atul Dambalkar <ad...@cisco.com>.

Posted by Atul Dambalkar <ad...@cisco.com>.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by Atul Dambalkar <ad...@cisco.com>.

At 01:56 PM 8/30/01 -0700, you wrote:
>on 8/30/01 10:32 AM, "Atul Dambalkar" <ad...@cisco.com> wrote:
>
> > I am thinking about concentrating on defining such a schema that will get
> > easily mapped on to all databases, no SEQUENCE or any proprietary database
> > specific stuff, and follow Turbine by defining a separate ID_TABLE to store
> > the primary keys for rest of the tables. Then query ID_TABLE at start-up.
> > That way I will only have to use Village API. I am working on the Schema
> > tweaking a bit. What do you think on this approach? I am trying to get
> > information from people who have better database knowledge than me.
>
>Just use Torque. It is a much better solution than using bare bones Village.
>If you define idMethod="native" in Torque, then it will cause your system to
>use whatever method is native for each database to do auto-increment.
>
>If you define idMethod="idBroker", then Torque will use the IDBroker and the
>ID_TABLE.

Okay great! I will now drill through Torque.