Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu> on 2012/08/20 19:02:11 UTC

Upgrade to VCL 2.3

Hi

I've upgraded VCL 2.2.1 -> 2.3 on Friday and would like to share issues and fixes:

- right after the upgrade all new reservations failed  (when vcld needed to create new VM). I traced it to failing scp command on step when VCL copies .vmx file to a VM host. There were no errors reported in vcld.conf log file and vcld proceeded to next steps. Then error was reported on VM host when vcld attempted to register a VM with non-existing .vmx file. The scp command doesn't get any options and silently fails. I've added:

        if (!defined($options)) {
                $options = " -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null ";
        }

to utils.pm, sub run_scp_command, before $options are added to $scp_path. I think adding these options to ~/.ssh/config would give the same result.

- needed to increase ConnectTimeout in utils.pm. Many (but not all) reservations failed with error 'Connection timed out during banner exchange' when VCL was running ssh commands to prepare reservation (3 attempts): "/usr/bin/ssh -i /etc/vcl/vcl.key  -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o ConnectionAttempts=1 -o ConnectTimeout=3 -l root -p 22 -x <vcl-computer-name> 'command' ". I've changed ConnectTimeout to 10.

- was getting 'undefined usenls' JS error when I clicked 'Connect' button on successful reservation. 'Get RDP File' button wasn't available. This happened b/c I used page.php from VCL 2.2.1, which doesn't define usenls vars. Once I defined usenls in page.php it fixed the issue (thanks to Josh who pointed the problem)

- configuring firewall for Windows reservations failed. There is already https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VCL-609 for this problem. I've removed lines checking for $exit_status in DataStructure.pm and will apply proper fix later with VCL 2.3.1.

At this point VCL 2.3 runs OK.

--
Thank you,

Dmitri Chebotarov
Virtual Computing Lab Systems Engineer, TSD - Ent Servers & Messaging
223 Aquia Building, Ffx, MSN: 1B5
Phone: (703) 993-6175
Fax: (703) 993-3404

Re: Upgrade to VCL 2.3

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
One more problem I forgot to mention:

I stopped receiving emails from VCL system, including reservation notification emails and CRITICAL emails with errors.
The vcld.log file has error "exim: bad -f address " ": empty address".

There is RETURNPATH var in vcld.conf which is undefined.
It was undefined in VCL 2.2.1 and email flow was OK.
Once I've added value to RETURNPATH in VCL 2.3, email started to work.

Re: Upgrade to VCL 2.3

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.