Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com> on 2007/08/28 12:42:23 UTC

Developing Axis2 web services starting from code

My article on "Code First" Web Services Reconsidered has been published
by InfoQ: http://www.infoq.com/articles/sosnoski-code-first I've also
made some updates to Jibx2Wsdl to fix a few problems found, and with one
more set of enhancements coming up will be making it part of the
upcoming JiBX 1.1.6 release. In the meantime you can get it at
http://www.sosnoski.com/jibx-wiki/space/axis2-jibx/jibx2wsdl

I'll also mention that I'm going to be visiting Sydney and Melbourne in
late September, with another trip to the U.S. in October. If anyone is
interested in training classes or consulting support around SOA, Axis2,
or XML in Java email me directly to find out more about my services.

  - Dennis

--
Dennis M. Sosnoski
SOA and Web Services in Java

Re: Developing Axis2 web services starting from code

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Hi Amila,

1. Yes, Jibx2Wsdl is fully compatible with 1.4. I haven't tested
Jibx2Wsdl with 1.3 (since I don't know anyone who's still using 1.3 for
their actual development efforts, as opposed to deployment), but the
JiBX framework itself is compatible with 1.3.
2. If you use Java 5 generics Jibx2Wsdl will pick up the item type for a
collection automatically, and likewise if you're using arrays. For
untyped collections you *shouldn't* actually need to specify the type,
as long as it's a class that you've included in your binding generation
- but I don't think I've tested this part, and it might not work at
present without the type specification.

  - Dennis

Dennis M. Sosnoski
SOA and Web Services in Java
Training and Consulting

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
hi Anne.

On 8/29/07, Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice article Dennis, but you haven't addressed the fundamental issue
> associated with the code-first approach. I'd like to see a code-first
> approach that allows me to use corporate-approved schema datatypes so
> that my applications aren't responsible for proliferating a ton of
> incompatible types.

Please bear with me asking this question in this thread.
 I am bit new to this subject and can you please describe this further or
point me to an article which talks about this. I am also try to write a
framework for this code-first approach with Axis2-rmi. So I think this would
give me good idea about the senarios I have to think.

Types are the fundamental sharable components in

Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: Developing Axis2 web services starting from code

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Hi Anne,

You're assuming that corporations already have a set of approved schema
datatypes. Most smaller to mid-sized organizations don't, and given the
difficulties of schema development I mention in the article I don't
think many are likely to develop these types directly. On the other
hand, many organizations in this size range already have standardized
business object models in the form of code libraries. Converting these
standardized object models to schema terms, if done properly, will give
them just the set of datatypes you postulate.

As a side benefit, if they take this approach they'll be able to reuse
their existing object model for new services, while knowing that it'll
still map correctly to the equivalent schema datatypes.

As to both SOAP and POX, I don't really understand your point. If you
have the schema you can use it for both purposes - all we're discussing
is how you get to that schema in the first place.

  - Dennis

Dennis M. Sosnoski
SOA and Web Services in Java
Training and Consulting

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
hi dennis,

> [...]

> > >     Melbourne in
> > >     late September, with another trip to the U.S. in October. If
> > >     anyone is
> > >     interested in training classes or consulting support around SOA,
> > >     Axis2,
> > >     or XML in Java email me directly to find out more about my
> > services.
> > >
> > >       - Dennis
> > >
> > >     --
> > >     Dennis M. Sosnoski
> > >     SOA and Web Services in Java
> > >     Training and Consulting
> > >     http://www.sosnoski.com - http://www.sosnoski.co.nz
> > >     Seattle, WA +1-425-939-0576 - Wellington, NZ +64-4-298-6117

> > >     For additional commands, e-mail: axis-user-help@ws.apache.org
> > >     <mailto:axis-user-help@ws.apache.org >
> > >

> > > --
> > > Paul Fremantle
> > > Co-Founder and VP of Technical Sales, WSO2

Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: Developing Axis2 web services starting from code

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

On 8/28/07, Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com> wrote:

> Glad you enjoyed it, Paul!
>
> There's been so much bashing of the idea of web service development
> starting from code that I thought it was time to bring a bit of balance
> to the discussion.
>
>   - Dennis
>

> Paul Fremantle wrote:
> > Great article! Thanks Dennis.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > On 8/28/07, *Dennis Sosnoski* <dms@sosnoski.com
> > <ma...@sosnoski.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     My article on "Code First" Web Services Reconsidered has been
> >     published
> >     by InfoQ: http://www.infoq.com/articles/sosnoski-code-first I've
> also
> >     made some updates to Jibx2Wsdl to fix a few problems found, and
> >     with one
> >     more set of enhancements coming up will be making it part of the
> >     upcoming JiBX 1.1.6 release. In the meantime you can get it at
> >     http://www.sosnoski.com/jibx-wiki/space/axis2-jibx/jibx2wsdl
> >
> >     I'll also mention that I'm going to be visiting Sydney and
> >     Melbourne in
> >     late September, with another trip to the U.S. in October. If
> >     anyone is
> >     interested in training classes or consulting support around SOA,
> >     Axis2,
> >     or XML in Java email me directly to find out more about my services.
> >
> >       - Dennis
> >
> >     --
> >     Dennis M. Sosnoski
> >     SOA and Web Services in Java
> >     Training and Consulting
> >     http://www.sosnoski.com - http://www.sosnoski.co.nz
> >     Seattle, WA +1-425-939-0576 - Wellington, NZ +64-4-298-6117

> >     <ma...@ws.apache.org>
> >     For additional commands, e-mail: axis-user-help@ws.apache.org
> >     <ma...@ws.apache.org>
> >

> > --
> > Paul Fremantle
> > Co-Founder and VP of Technical Sales, WSO2
> > OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair
> >
> > blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
> > paul@wso2.com <ma...@wso2.com>
> >
> > "Oxygenating the Web Service Platform", www.wso2.com <
> http://www.wso2.com>

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Developing Axis2 web services starting from code

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Glad you enjoyed it, Paul!

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.