Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com> on 2003/04/30 22:33:44 UTC

Best way to build struts from CVS?

Which is correct:

a) Grab commons jars from most recent struts nightly
b) Build commons jars from commons CVS
c) Grab commons jars from most recent commons nightlies
c) The "right way" that I have not yet stumbled on....

What exactly does the struts nightly build do?  Dates inside commons
jars seem to vary.

Build.properties.sample seems to expect b) or c).  Does anyone have bash
  or ant scripts that automate the commons prep?

Phil

Re: Best way to build struts from CVS?

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Thanks,Ted and others who responded.  I really appreciate the guidance.

Ted Husted wrote:
> I think c2 would be b, since the idea is that Struts developers are
> often Commons developers too and would have the Commons CVS checked out
> and built. So the "ideal Struts developer" would have a current build of
> the Commons stuff and would run the Struts build against that.

I am working on this, since part of my reason for digging in to the
source is to do some profiling and performance analysis.

> If you don't need the Commons code checked-out, a good approach is to
> use a "repository" system.
>
> * Download whatever dependent JARs you need to a common directory.
> * Edit the build properties file to use that directory.

Essentially what I am doing now, only using the jars from the struts
nightly dist.

> The current Commons JARs can be downloaded directly from <
> http://gump.covalent.net/jars/ > so you don't need to grab the whole
> gorilla if you only want the banana. =:0)
> (The Gump JARs ink is down right now. I'll check on that.)

That would be nice.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Phil Steitz wrote:
> Which is correct:
>
> a) Grab commons jars from most recent struts nightly
> b) Build commons jars from commons CVS
> c) Grab commons jars from most recent commons nightlies
> c) The "right way" that I have not yet stumbled on....
>
> What exactly does the struts nightly build do?  Dates inside commons
> jars seem to vary.
>
> Build.properties.sample seems to expect b) or c).  Does anyone have bash
>  or ant scripts that automate the commons prep?
>
> Phil

Ted Husted,

Re: Best way to build struts from CVS?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Phil Steitz wrote:

> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:33:44 -0700
> From: Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>
> To: struts-dev <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Best way to build struts from CVS?
>
> Which is correct:
>
> a) Grab commons jars from most recent struts nightly
> b) Build commons jars from commons CVS
> c) Grab commons jars from most recent commons nightlies
> c) The "right way" that I have not yet stumbled on....
>
> What exactly does the struts nightly build do?  Dates inside commons
> jars seem to vary.

The Struts nightly build automatically runs nightly builds of the relevant
commons packages and includes them -- at least, that's what it is
*supposed* to be doing. I'll dig in to my scripts to double check.

> Build.properties.sample seems to expect b) or c).  Does anyone have bash
>   or ant scripts that automate the commons prep?

The build.properties file allows you to say "I want to build my version of
Struts against THIS version of commons-beanutils and THAT version of
commons-digester ..." because many people are in environments where all of
their code uses those particular versions.

> Phil

Craig

Re: Best way to build struts from CVS?

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Phil Steitz wrote:

> Which is correct:
>
> a) Grab commons jars from most recent struts nightly
> b) Build commons jars from commons CVS
> c) Grab commons jars from most recent commons nightlies
> c) The "right way" that I have not yet stumbled on....
>
> What exactly does the struts nightly build do?  Dates inside commons
> jars seem to vary.

The nightly build does (b).

> Build.properties.sample seems to expect b) or c).  Does anyone have bash
>   or ant scripts that automate the commons prep?

I have a (very clunky) Win2K batch file that builds the necessary Commons
packages, and then Struts itself, but it's specific to the way I have my
file system laid out. (Told you it was clunky!) All it really does is 'cd'
to each directory, and then 'ant clean dist' or 'maven clean dist' as
appropriate.

I've thought about turning this into a more generic Ant build file, but
that thought hasn't made it to the top of my "do it" list quite yet. ;-)

I'm sure Craig has a shell script, probably similar to my batch file, that
he uses to run the nightlies, but it probably does a lot more as well.

--
Martin Cooper