Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.com> on 1997/05/02 05:00:25 UTC

Re: [post-1.2] proposed api extension mechanism ["Lou D. Langholtz" ] (fwd)

Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 13:54:48 -0600
From: "Lou D. Langholtz" <sy...@usi.utah.edu>
To: new-httpd@apache.org
Subject: Re: [post-1.2] proposed api extension mechanism

rasmus@bellglobal.com wrote:

> > Again, it seems to me that C++ would be a much cooler way to handle this
> > kind of thing.
>
> Perhaps, but the number of programmers completely comfortable in C++ is
> significantly less than those comfortable in C.  Our pool of contributors
> would drop dramatically if we switched everything to C++.
>
> And, getting a working C++ compiler on the extremely diverse set of
> platforms that Apache currently supports is going to be difficult.
>
> We've had this discussion before though.
>
> -Rasmus

Both good points. How about a comprimise... the X Toolkit Intrinsics
(Xt) does a great job of using C in an OO fassion without resorting to
any C++. Lets do something similar. While using a coding style &
techniques like the Xt isn't quite as automated as using an OO language
you still get data encapsulation, classes, objects, private methods,
public methods, inheritance and so on that are enforced by the C
compiler.