Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ri...@libero.it on 2001/05/23 22:40:55 UTC

How to use Tomkat with apache.

I'm new to tomkat and I'd like to use JSP with apache.
I use Red Hat 7.1

I try to find somebody, something, sites , books but nothing explain how
configure the machine to use tomkat for using JSP.
Please ... say me where can I find how configure and use tomkat or explain
how do that.
Thank you in advance, Mario.

Re: How to use Tomkat with apache.

Posted by Michael Jennings <so...@home.com>.
Bonjourno!

I managed to get tomcat working on my computer, here is what I
did.
1) Make sure you have JDK 1.3 installed on your computer
(to verify, type in java -version)
In order to make JDK 1.3 run properly on RedHat 7.1, in your
/etc/profile file put in a line saying:
ulimit -s 2000

also, make sure that the following files exist:
/usr/bin/expr
/usr/bin/dirname
/usr/bin/cut
/usr/bin/head

Those files are used by the "java" script that launches the actual JVM.
For instance, on my computer, my java 1.3 sdk is installed at
/usr/j2sdk1_3_0

so if I type in "more /usr/j2sdk1_3_0/bin/java" it shows the shell script
used
to launch the JVM.

2) download the tomcat binaries (3.2.1 is the latest non-beta)
3) unzip the tomcat binaries somewhere appropriate
For example: on my computer I put tomcat in /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1

4) edit the startup script(s) in the bin subdirectory of your tomcat
installation
on my computer: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1/bin

5) launch tomcat and have fun!

Hope this helps!
-Mike Jennings