Posted to mod_dtcl@tcl.apache.org by Wojciech Kocjan <zo...@nowiny.net> on 2001/06/07 00:31:45 UTC

some benchmarks

hi.

i've started doing some benchmarks. cgi+c, php, dtcl and aolserver
included for now.

take a look at http://213.25.140.2/z/

apaches=apache static (everything static compiled).

i used:
apache=apache 1.3.14 (from debian/potato)
apaches=apache 1.3.20
aolserver 3.4
mod_dtcl 0.11.0 (dynamic for apache, static for apaches)
php 4.0.3 (from debian/potato)

tests were performed on a p3 733mhz machine with 192mb ram on 2.2.19
kernel.

what bothers me is that tcl is twice as slow when doing sin() on a
loop. any ideas on how to speed that up? [except using loop from tclX]

Wojtek Kocjan
wojciech@kocjan.org

Re: some benchmarks

Posted by Valerio Gionco <va...@most.it>.
Wojciech Kocjan wrote:

> hi.
>
> i've started doing some benchmarks. cgi+c, php, dtcl and aolserver
> included for now.
>
> take a look at http://213.25.140.2/z/
>
> apaches=apache static (everything static compiled).
>
> i used:
> apache=apache 1.3.14 (from debian/potato)
> apaches=apache 1.3.20
> aolserver 3.4
> mod_dtcl 0.11.0 (dynamic for apache, static for apaches)
> php 4.0.3 (from debian/potato)
>
> tests were performed on a p3 733mhz machine with 192mb ram on 2.2.19
> kernel.

What kind of test have you performed? There's no description

> what bothers me is that tcl is twice as slow when doing sin() on a
> loop. any ideas on how to speed that up? [except using loop from tclX]

twice as slow respect to what? And, also, it's just sin() you want
to speed up or, more in general, math functions?

---------------
Note:
You could try to approx. sin() with something like
1/2 x + 1/6 x^3 + .... , but I don't know it it's faster (and if you can
use it).

(see a math book for the Mc Laurin approx. of a function. It's been
a long time since I really used those things).

--
Valerio Gionco   [valerio@most.it]
MOST s.r.l.      Via Bezzecca, 9 - 10131 Torino