Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by David Capwell <dc...@apple.com.INVALID> on 2021/12/03 18:33:41 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Nested YAML configs for new features

Thanks everyone for the feedback!  If I am reading this properly I am seeing the following

* Good with nested configs
* Good with YAML layer supporting flat structure (possible foo.bar.baz for the path foo: {bar: {baz: 42}}), how this relates with Settings table should be resolved, but there is a open ticket for this (enhance our YAML CASSANDRA-17166, and support updates to Settings vtable CASSANDRA-15254)
* Where/How we group is an open question, maybe we move this to a JIRA as follow up work to CASSANDRA-15234?

> We’re also mixing terminology already, with limits/thresholds and fail/abort.

Spoke with Ekaterina about this, and not solved in 15234; lets move this to a follow up JIRA for 15234?

Posted by Ekaterina Dimitrova <e....@gmail.com>.
 Please find my comments inline below

* Good with nested configs - the question is how they will be introduced
and maintained? I wouldn't advocate for maintaining more than yaml file but
probably as you once mentioned some time ago (if I remember correctly) -
having one format as default and just documenting the support for the other
one/ones. Now which is the default one is a different topic.
* Where/How we group is an open question, maybe we move this to a JIRA as
follow up work to CASSANDRA-15234? - not part of CASSANDRA-15234 as per all
the discussions, already in review (thank you for your first quick round
btw, appreciate it!)

Spoke with Ekaterina about this, and not solved in 15234; let's move this
to a follow up JIRA for 15234? - For the broader audience, currently what I
solve around naming in CASSANDRA-15234 is removing the unit suffix and
moving to the format noun_verb the config parameters names. After all
discussions and realizing the great interest and variety of opinions, I
tried really to split more tickets from CASSANDRA-15234 and to keep
primarily the new custom types and the new framework with backward
compatibility as the main body of work, good also for the reviewers. Last
year I came up with the idea of reorganizing the config file a bit which
led to discussions. So considering my previous point about splitting to a
more incremental approach considering the variety of opinions, I suggested
when submitting for review to open a new ticket for that new organization
of our config file. Probably we can add the abort/fail and any other
similar concerns/questions there post CASSANDRA-15234?