Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@orange-ft.com> on 2006/11/20 14:55:28 UTC

Buiding a simple plugin :(

Hi,
I am trying to build a simple report building. My first error was to use
jdk 1.5 enumerations. Thanks to Andrew Williams, it all seems to come
from some bad dependency on jdox, and I tried to set it to the correct
1.6.1 version. But my dependecy was not taken into account during the
build so I checked and found that this was coming from
maven-plugin-tools-java that was referencing the 1.5. I tried to build
some local version 2.0.4 of this plugin and referenced the built version
in my pom.xml. But this was not the end of it, because to my surprise,
the version used to build my plugin was not the 2.0.4 as specified but
the 2.0.1:((
After much probing I have found that this comes from
"maven-plugin-plugin: resolved to version 2.1 from repository central"
which uses 2.0.1 and no other up-to-date version. The 2.2-SNAPSHOT is of
no use either since it goes directly to 2.0.5-SNASPHOT.
This is NOT what I excepted at ALL, and my "solution" was to set the
qdox version to 1.6.1 in the pom.xml of maven-plugin-tools-java 2.0.1 on
my local repository. This is quite unsatisfactory and I am open to any
better solution or explanation.
Emmanuel

Re: Buiding a simple plugin :(

Posted by Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@orange-ft.com>.
zze- HUGONNET E ext RD-BIZZ a écrit :
> Hi,
> I am trying to build a simple report building. My first error was to
> use jdk 1.5 enumerations. Thanks to Andrew Williams, it all seems to
> come from some bad dependency on jdox, and I tried to set it to the
> correct 1.6.1 version. But my dependecy was not taken into account
> during the build so I checked and found that this was coming from
> maven-plugin-tools-java that was referencing the 1.5. I tried to build
> some local version 2.0.4 of this plugin and referenced the built
> version in my pom.xml. But this was not the end of it, because to my
> surprise, the version used to build my plugin was not the 2.0.4 as
> specified but the 2.0.1:((
> After much probing I have found that this comes from
> "maven-plugin-plugin: resolved to version 2.1 from repository central"
> which uses 2.0.1 and no other up-to-date version. The 2.2-SNAPSHOT is
> of no use either since it goes directly to 2.0.5-SNASPHOT.
> This is NOT what I excepted at ALL, and my "solution" was to set the
> qdox version to 1.6.1 in the pom.xml of maven-plugin-tools-java 2.0.1
> on my local repository. This is quite unsatisfactory and I am open to
> any better solution or explanation.
> Emmanuel

After more thinking about this problem it looks like this is a kind of
chicken-egg problem with Maven2:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/200607.mbox/%3c44B61873.8040104@apache.org%3e
.  Building plugins seems to create a dependecy to plugin-plugin and
transitively to maven 2.0.1, not 2.0.4 (which is the version I currently
use).  This seems to be to close to the core of Maven to override the
dependency using dependencyManager. Is this correct ?
Is there a workaround for this king of problem ?
Emmanuel