Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by IvanLatysh <iv...@yourmail.com> on 2002/02/21 14:53:12 UTC

AWT Window

Hello, Alistair!
You wrote to <fo...@xml.apache.org> on Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:26:32 -0000:

 AH> Now that a few more people are interested in this:

 AH> I think that it would be more useful if the basic AWT API returned a
 AH> JPanel rather than a JFrame.  I want to use it in a JInternalFrame
 AH> rather than a
 AH> JFrame to mimic standard Windoze print preview behaviour.  Somebody
 AH> else wants to use an applet.  It's also nice to be able to offer a
 AH> .save(File f)
 AH> option from the API/viewer so that viewers can save the report as
 AH> well as view and print it.

>From my practice the best way to make this flexible is just give JPanel without any controls.
Just a report. And implement into this "pane" methods to switch pages, zoom, import ....
And, If I need preview window I will do preview by myself with my buttons and my style.
I think this is right way to do it.

---
Yours sincerely, Ivan Latysh.
Ivan@yourmail.com
http://ivan.yourmail.com

Re: AWT Window

Posted by IvanLatysh <iv...@yourmail.com>.
Hello, Nicola!
You wrote to <fo...@xml.apache.org> on Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:06:44 +0100:

 NKB> Better still... give the JPanel like you propose and Actions that
 NKB> (if needed) can be easily put in a toolbar.
Yes, exactly.
It better because most of developers use their fill and look.
They use custom buttons and other stuff.

And one more about I concern it is size of FOP.
All my application with all drivers and everything what I need :
(ivLib.jar, library.jar, manager.jar, mm.mysql-2.0.4-bin.jar)  = 861,347 bytes
And FOP:
(avalon-framework-4.0.jar, batik.jar, fop.jar, jimi-1.0.jar, logkit-1.0b4.jar,
xalan-2.2.D14.jar, xerces-1.4.4.jar)  = 7,245,957 bytes

At least you should repack all libraryes and take only classes which you actually need.
Because from this point it hard to use application thru JavaWebStart.

---

Re: AWT Window

Posted by IvanLatysh <iv...@yourmail.com>.
Hello, Jim!
You wrote to <fo...@xml.apache.org> "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <ba...@nicolaken.com> on Thu, 21
Feb 2002 08:19:22 -0600:

 JU> Sounds good to me.  Just one thing, get rid of that System.exit() in
 JU> the dispose method!  Let the implementer decide what to do when the
 JU> window containing the panel is closed.
You know.
I did mail to FOP community a long, long time ago.
And no one bother about this.
Here is my message from  December 12, 2001 11:46 AM

>Hi All.
>I am playing around to get my application run.
>And I have met some funny piece of code.
>Like this:
>package org.apache.fop.viewer;
>public class PreviewDialog extends JFrame implements ProgressListener,
>        MessageListener {
>And when I get look at method dispose I was surprised:
>    public void dispose() {
>        System.exit(0);
>    }
>It's really cool - 100% of free resources :-)

---

RE: AWT Window

Posted by Jim Urban <ji...@netsteps.net>.
Sounds good to me.  Just one thing, get rid of that System.exit() in the
dispose method!  Let the implementer decide what to do when the window
containing the panel is closed.

Jim

Re: AWT Window

Posted by IvanLatysh <iv...@yourmail.com>.
Hello, Jim!
You wrote to <fo...@xml.apache.org> on Thu, 21 Feb 2002 08:29:09 -0600:

 JU> While were suggesting enhancements for the AWT window, here is a
 JU> change I made to the code Ivan Latysh sent me last week.  I needed
 JU> to process XML:FO which is dynamically generated and not .xml and
 JU> .xsl files.  So I modified the run method to take an InputSource
 JU> object (containing XML:FO) instead of two File objects.  I would
 JU> like to see this option added if possible.  It makes using the AWT
 JU> window much easier when the report to be viewed is build from data
 JU> retrieved from a database by a server and sent to a client
 JU> application or applet for viewing.  It also works well with Java Web
 JU> Start, where the placing of .xml and .xsl files on the workstation
 JU> is a hassle due to the JWS security sandbox.

I also did tiny class that retrieve data from your database using XML file with your SQL querys
(not only one) .
And return XML file with same structure as supplied SQL.
All this stuff with small demo = 25,181 bytes. And using only SUN JDK.
If you interesting of this - just mail me.

This is targeting for FOP. In case you are working with relational database and you need to
build an report.

---

RE: AWT Window

Posted by Alistair Hopkins <al...@berthengron.co.uk>.
The information re CurrentPage, etc., is available from the AWTRenderer: it
may make more sense to expose that for advanced users.

The getToolbar() proposal is a shorthand to call all the getAction, getCombo
methods: if you don't want to use it, you can do it the long way using the
actions

I think the interface should be kept as simple as possible, but allowing
people to dig further into the FOP API if they need to: it's pretty hard
work learning all this stuff if all you want is a nice, clean and simple
print preview functionality in your swing app.

Given that the best VB can do is the dreaded Crystal Reports, and Adobe seem
to be backing off the java Acrobat viewer (jvm 1.1.8 latest!) which makes
iText a fairly poor solution, then there seems to be an opening in the
'market' for Fop here.  All my users want everything on paper.

What do C++ developers do for quality custom printing?  I have no idea.

Al

Posted by IvanLatysh <iv...@yourmail.com>.
Hello, Alistair!
You wrote to <fo...@xml.apache.org> "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <ba...@nicolaken.com> on Thu, 21
Feb 2002 15:28:59 -0000:

RE: AWT Window

Posted by Alistair Hopkins <al...@berthengron.co.uk>.
Action[] getActions +1
save(OutputStream) +1

but I like some internal (protected?) means whereby the implementer has to
do no explicit coding atall to get preview/print/save functionality: hence
the getSaveAction Action which brings up a JFileChooser: but as the API also
allows itself to be used for direct printing without previewing, I can't
assume that the preview panel is up so I need to ask for a JFileChooser
parent component to enable it to be sensible & modal.

More?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ba...@nicolaken.com>.
From: "Alistair Hopkins" <al...@berthengron.co.uk>

> So how about this as the public interface:
>
> package org.apache.fop.apps;
>
> public class AwtManager
> {
>     public AwtManager(InputSource fo)
>
>     public AwtManager(InputSource xsl. InputSource xml)
>
>     //these are separated so the work of showing the preview can go on a
> background thread
>     public Component getPreviewPanel()
>     public Component showPreview()
>
>     //possible also to set the saved file type in the save method
>     public void save(Component fileChooserParent)

-0

>     public void save(File f)

+-0

>     public Action getSaveAction()

save(OutputStream out)

>     public void print()
>     public Action getPrintAction()
>
>     public void zoom(String zoomFactor)
>     public JCombo getZoomCombo()
>
>     public void goToPage(int n)
>      ...etc...
>
>     //a short hand for lazy people
>     public JToolBar getToolbar()
> }

Action[] getActions()

RE: AWT Window

Posted by Jim Urban <ji...@netsteps.net>.
I like it!  For what its worth, you have my vote.

Jim

RE: AWT Window

RE: AWT Window

Posted by Jim Urban <ji...@netsteps.net>.