Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Wolfgang Glas <wo...@iteg.at> on 2013/03/22 13:56:02 UTC

Various bugs in TTFSubFont, maybe blocking 1.8.0

Hi all,

  Andreas has kindly integrated my TTFSubFont class into pdfbox-1.8.0.

However, we are experiencing crashes of Minolta printers, which stumble
across some subtle Problems in the extracted TTF fonts generated by this
class. Most notably, the font checksum is calculated to an invalid value
among other more subtle issues.

  With the help of Microsoft's font validator tool, I have been able to
fix most of these problems in my original code:

  http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontvalidator.mspx

  Currently, I'm awaiting the confirmation of our customer, that the
fixes cure the Minolts-printer-crashing problem.

  Once I've received this confirmation I will work out a patch againt
pdfbox trunk, which seems to be quite easy, because the code there is
pretty much identical to my original code.

  If all goes well, I should be able to come up with a patch until
Sunday, March 24th. If things turn out to be more cimplicated I will let
you know.

  Best regards,

    Wolfgang

Re: Various bugs in TTFSubFont, maybe blocking 1.8.0

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
+1 for releasing as is and fixing afterwards

Maruan Sahyoun

Posted by Wolfgang Glas <wo...@iteg.at>.
Am 22.03.13 15:00, schrieb Andreas Lehmkuehler:
> Hi,
>
> Am 22.03.2013 14:40, schrieb Wolfgang Glas:
>> Am 22.03.13 14:29, schrieb Andreas Lehmkuehler:
>>> Hi,

>>> I just started the integration. We are far away from the end.
>>> Thanks again for sharing the code with us.

>>> Is this because I integrated some of your stuff or because of how I
>>> integrated
>>> your stuff?
>>
>> It has nothing to do with the way you are intergrating the code. These
>> are all TTF-related misunderstandings I introduced myself.
> Sounds like my own experience, this font stuff is hard to understand if it
> comes to the details. :-(
>
>> The problem is, that Minolta Printer are less tolerant on TTF problems
>> than all PDF viewer I've tested so far.
> OK, I see
>
>>> Do you think it is a blocker for all or just for you? Maybe we should
>>> release
>>> 1.8.0 as is and do another bugfix release in a couple of weeks?
>>
>> It is a blocker for all users of TTFSubFont, because their users will
>> cheat
>> them on breaking their Minolta printers like I've been cheated by my
>> customer.
>> I have a fix in my original code, which is build atop of pdfbox-1.7.1. I
>> have not switched over to 1.8.0 so far, but surely I'd love to see a
>> pdfbox-1.8.0 with working TTSubFont class.
> I tend to release 1.8.0 anyway as people are waiting for the new version
> and
> now that it is almost done I'm afraid some of them will become impatient if
> we stop it at this point. Furthermore I don't want to put some additional
> pressure on you to deliver a fix for that issue. Once your fix is
> available I
> can cut a new bugfix release. Maybe some other changes will be available
> too.
> WDYT?

Just a short update: Our customer confirmed, that my fixes cured the Minolta
death, I will prepare for an JIRA issue and a patch within the next
few hours.

Unfortunately I cannot prepre these right now...

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Am 22.03.2013 14:40, schrieb Wolfgang Glas:
> Am 22.03.13 14:29, schrieb Andreas Lehmkuehler:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 22.03.2013 13:56, schrieb Wolfgang Glas:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>>     Andreas has kindly integrated my TTFSubFont class into pdfbox-1.8.0.
>> I just started the integration. We are far away from the end.
>> Thanks again for sharing the code with us.
>>
>>> However, we are experiencing crashes of Minolta printers, which stumble
>>> across some subtle Problems in the extracted TTF fonts generated by this
>>> class. Most notably, the font checksum is calculated to an invalid value
>>> among other more subtle issues.
>> Is this because I integrated some of your stuff or because of how I
>> integrated
>> your stuff?
>
> It has nothing to do with the way you are intergrating the code. These
> are all TTF-related misunderstandings I introduced myself.
Sounds like my own experience, this font stuff is hard to understand if it
comes to the details. :-(

> The problem is, that Minolta Printer are less tolerant on TTF problems
> than all PDF viewer I've tested so far.
OK, I see

>> Do you think it is a blocker for all or just for you? Maybe we should
>> release
>> 1.8.0 as is and do another bugfix release in a couple of weeks?
>
> It is a blocker for all users of TTFSubFont, because their users will cheat
> them on breaking their Minolta printers like I've been cheated by my
> customer.
> I have a fix in my original code, which is build atop of pdfbox-1.7.1. I
> have not switched over to 1.8.0 so far, but surely I'd love to see a
> pdfbox-1.8.0 with working TTSubFont class.
I tend to release 1.8.0 anyway as people are waiting for the new version and
now that it is almost done I'm afraid some of them will become impatient if
we stop it at this point. Furthermore I don't want to put some additional
pressure on you to deliver a fix for that issue. Once your fix is available I
can cut a new bugfix release. Maybe some other changes will be available too.
WDYT?

>    Wolfgang

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

Re: Various bugs in TTFSubFont, maybe blocking 1.8.0

Posted by Wolfgang Glas <wo...@iteg.at>.

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Am 22.03.2013 13:56, schrieb Wolfgang Glas:
> Hi all,
>
>    Andreas has kindly integrated my TTFSubFont class into pdfbox-1.8.0.
I just started the integration. We are far away from the end.
Thanks again for sharing the code with us.

> However, we are experiencing crashes of Minolta printers, which stumble
> across some subtle Problems in the extracted TTF fonts generated by this
> class. Most notably, the font checksum is calculated to an invalid value
> among other more subtle issues.
Is this because I integrated some of your stuff or because of how I integrated
your stuff?

>    With the help of Microsoft's font validator tool, I have been able to
> fix most of these problems in my original code:
>
>    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontvalidator.mspx
>
>    Currently, I'm awaiting the confirmation of our customer, that the
> fixes cure the Minolts-printer-crashing problem.
>
>    Once I've received this confirmation I will work out a patch againt
> pdfbox trunk, which seems to be quite easy, because the code there is
> pretty much identical to my original code.
>
>    If all goes well, I should be able to come up with a patch until
> Sunday, March 24th. If things turn out to be more cimplicated I will let
> you know.
Do you think it is a blocker for all or just for you? Maybe we should release
1.8.0 as is and do another bugfix release in a couple of weeks?

>    Best regards,
>
>      Wolfgang

Thanks for your feedback

BR