Posted to user@flink.apache.org by PedroMrChaves <pe...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/06 14:17:11 UTC

Can AsyncFunction be applied to connected streams

Hello,

Is there a way to apply the AsyncFunction to connected streams like in a
CoFlatMap?
I would like to connect streams from different types and process one of them
based on the state
created by the other in an asynchronous fashion.

Regards,
Pedro Chaves

-----
Best Regards,
Pedro Chaves

Re: Can AsyncFunction be applied to connected streams

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
I think this would not necessarily be a problem. If the async operation is directly after the enrichment operation the enriched operations will be directly forwarded to the async operation. (With a copy step, that can be disabled by enabling object reuse at the StreamExecutionEnvironment)

Best,
Aljoscha

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
Hi,

While it’s not possible to directly apply an Async I/O operator to a connected stream you can use a two-stage approach:
 - Have a CoFlatMap that enriches the elements from the first stream based on the second stream
 - Use an Async I/O operator right after that, on the enriched stream

Would that be an option for you?

Best,
Aljoscha