Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org> on 2006/04/06 04:52:17 UTC

Tomcat access logs

A while back, someone had requested that the access logs for Tomcat be
turned on by default in Geronimo.  This basically involved enabling the
Tomcat AccessLogValve, and this request was granted.

Upon further review, it would seem that other application servers leave
this off by default.  In fact, Tomcat itself leaves this off by default.
 I suppose that the reason for this is most Java web implementations are
front-ended by a web server such as httpd, and the web server handles
these logs.

Should we follow suit and by default keep the access logs turned off?
This seems to make more sense.

Thoughts and opinions on this matter?

Jeff

Re: Tomcat access logs

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
+1

-dain

Re: Tomcat access logs

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Yep...great idea...I'll throw that flag in.

Re: Tomcat access logs

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
+1 on the concept

Re: Tomcat access logs

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Re: Tomcat access logs

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
Yes, I think Jetty shoudl work the same way, and if we get a
loggingEnabled flag in there or something similar, the console web
access log can work the same way as the web statistics in that if it's
not enabled it'll have a bit saying something to the effect of "The
web access log is currently disabled.  Please consult your HTTP server
log if Geronimo is running through e.g. Apache or IIS, or else [Enable
Access Log]" (that last bit a link or button).

Thanks,
    Aaron

Re: Tomcat access logs

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.