Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Malcolm Warren <ma...@villeinitalia.com> on 2004/03/19 13:55:13 UTC

CATALINA_BASE in jwsdp

I have a very recent Java Web Services installation and Tomcat 5 is
bundled with it.
I have a problem that I see has been met with by others using jwsdp, and
not solved.

I would like to be able to run multiple Tomcat instances.
So I have tried to create a new directory for my web applications and I
try to start tomcat 5 using the CATALINA_BASE environment variable.
Unfortunately jwsdp completely ignores CATALINA_BASE. I see that others
have only been able to solve the problem by downloading Tomcat separately,
and the problem has gone away.

Does anyone know what to do about this? I'd like to stay with Tomcat
inside Java Web Services.

The script in catalina.sh calls jwsdp. Does anyone know who maintains
jwsdp? I've sent an email to Sun, but is there anyone at Jakarta who can
be contacted? As far as I know jakarta has nothing to do with it, but you
never know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Malcolm Warren

Re: CATALINA_BASE in jwsdp

Posted by Malcolm Warren <ma...@villeinitalia.com>.
I think I have found something to do with it.

in jwsdp-shared/bin/launcher.xml there is a line as follows:
<sysproperty key="catalina.base" value="${jwsdp.home}"/>

This line is surprising to say the least! It seems to be actively ignoring
the CATALINA_BASE variable!

and in fact if I hard-code the value here with my CATALINA_BASE directory
it all starts to work.
Now does anyone know what I should put here so that it picks up the
CATALINA_BASE environment variable?
I tried the following which didn't work:

<sysproperty key="catalina.base" value="${CATALINA_BASE}"/> - doesn't work.

Lastly does anyone know why this happens in the Java web Services
Development Pack unlike the normal Tomcat distribution, which I have read
in several places does not have the same problem? There must be a reason,
which is worrying me....

Thanks.

Re: CATALINA_BASE in jwsdp

Posted by Malcolm Warren <ma...@villeinitalia.com>.
Thanks to anyone who read this email.
But I've found a hack - or anyway I may just abandon JavaWebServices and
go for Tomcat on its own.
So don't worry about replying to this problem any more.

Malcolm Warren