Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@samsung.com> on 2016/11/20 22:17:41 UTC

[DISCUSS] Weex for Apache Incubator

Greetings,

We'd like to start a discussion on accepting the Weex, a UI framework for
cross-platform mobile application development, into the Apache Incubator!

Here's a link to the proposal in the Incubator wiki:

https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/WeexProposal

The text of the proposal is included below.

Thanks,
Edward

--
= Weex Proposal =

== Abstract ==
Weex is a framework for building Mobile cross-platform high performance UI.
Weex enables developers to use Web-like syntax to build iOS, Android and Web
UI with a single codebase.

== Proposal ==
Weex provide an uniform Web-like syntax for develop native Mobile App UI. By
leverage the Javascript engine that enable dynamic update, the process of
App interfce and content update can be simple and controllable just like
Web.Compared with WebView based UI framework which performance are limited,
Weex use build-in native components instead.

Because of tag based syntax that maintain a consistent style with Web
standards Weex using. Developers write in this language just like writting
in HTML. After transforming to JSBundle by Weex tools, these tags will be
rendered by build-in platform-specific components. The logic part of Weex
syntax write in Javascript which don't need be compiled control these
components.

The vision of Weex is to complement gap between platform-specific Native UI
and Web technical based UI in Mobile age. The team behind Weex believe that
dynamicly interface update and high performance should be achieved at the
same time when people develop a Mobile App. Meanwhile duplicate work between
the different platforms should be avoided.

== Background ==
Prior to Weex, in order to develop high performance mobile application we
need write at least three different codebase(iOS, Android, Mobile Web) or
adopt WebView based UI technique(Apache Cordova for example) which can't
satisfy the demand for performance.

A special task force at Alibaba Inc try to provide a solution for this
problem has been setup since 2013.  At first the team release a
cross-platform rendering engine which render a special format JSON to native
components on different platform. To output this JSON file the team had
build a website which other developer can use to simply design final
interface.

Although This solution had worked for a while, we found it not able to meet
our UI developer's habits. Most of our UI developer have Web background
which make them used to use tag based language to design App interface.
Meanwhile we found the JSON file lacks of enough flexibility. The following
discussion inspire we start to develop Weex.

Nowaday, Mobile Taobao App which developed by Alibaba Inc, the largest user
volume eCommerce App in China has adapted Weex in a lot of UI. In the latest
November 11th promotions(Alibaba's annual Singles' Day online shopping
event), UI developers from Alibaba Inc have build more then 1,500 pages
using Weex, 99.6% of all the promotional pages. The ratio of less than one
second page open time is more than 90%, the frame rate is 53.0~58.5(depend
on device) due to the high performance of Weex. In addition to user
experience improvement, the productivity of page development and the
efficiency of content delivery both have been improved.

After open-source and have get a lot of followers in chinese mobile App
development community, several of popular Apps listed on chinese top charts
have adopted or planning for adopt Weex.(UCWeb, Tmall, YouKu, Suning etc...)

== Current Status ==
Weex has become an open source project since June 2016.  It has been used at
a lot of Alibaba producted mobile softwares which running on the mobile
phone of millions of users.

Weex code repository located at GitHub. All development activities have
already happened on GitHub as open source manner.

== Community ==
The community surrounding Weex is a variety of developer which have
different technique background.iOS, Android, Web developer must collaborate
closely to implement most Weex feature.

Currently total 61 contributors involved in the GitHub development process.
Weex repository has received 791 pull requests until Nov 2016.

Beyond committer from Alibaba Inc, Weex community welcome anybody join us.
Nowaday Evan You from Vue Technology LLC, Wang Run Xiang from Aipai Inc and
lots of GitHub users have contributed source code or document to Weex.

Weex syntax is inspired a lot from Web framework Vue.js. For better future
of both Weex&Vue.js, we have cooperated with Vue.js community from begin of
Weex. The main author of Vue.js Evan You have became committer & mentor of
Weex in the first half of 2016.

At the time of this writing (Nov 2016) Weex GitHub star number is 8249,
watch number is 1841, fork number is 1090.

Weex use GitHub issue for problem tracking and technical discussion.
Currently 813 issues have been submited, 756 of them have been solved.

== Initial Developer ==
 * BryantWu      huazjxy@gmail.com (Alibaba Inc)
 * LuicsXu       luics.xu@gmail.com   (iOS/Android, Alibaba Inc)
 * Jin-JiangZhao  zhaojinjiang@me.com  (Web/Node , Alibaba Inc)
 * Tai-ChengHuang iskenhuang@gmail.com (Web/Node, Alibaba Inc)
 * FengYin       cxfeng1@gmail.com    (iOS, Alibaba Inc)
 * YuanYin       zshshr@sina.com      (Android, Alibaba Inc)
 * BobNing       ningli928@1 6 3.com    (iOS, Alibaba Inc)
 * WeiZheng      sospartan@gmail.com  (Android, Alibaba Inc)
 * YorkShen      shenyuancs@gmail.com (Android, Alibaba Inc)
 * SaiHe         tekkahs@gmail.com    (Web, Alibaba Inc)
 * BonoLv        lvscar@gmail.com     (Web/Node, Alibaba Inc)
 * GurisXie      279483595@qq.com     (Testing, Alibaba Inc)
 * AtomTong      tong_huabing@qq.com  (Testing, Alibaba Inc)

== Meritocracy ==
The intent of this proposal is to start building a diverse developer and
user community around Weex following the ASF meritocracy model.After Weex
becoming an OpenSource project, we have been working to make an open
governance structure for project leadership to encourage individual and
company involvement and contributions.

== Alignment ==
The Weex community believes that the Apache Software Foundation promotes and
enforces the sort of community that will best serve the future of the
project. It is also believed that Weex can enhance the ASF by expand the
technical scope of ASF in Mobile age.

== Relationships with Other Apache Products ==
We think Weex is an effective supplement to Apache Cordova. Both Apache
Cordova and Weex help developer for leveraging Web development technique in
Mobile age. Boot developer the ability of delivering consistent content to
different platform. With our sincere heart and determination to open source,
we will always keep an open mind for Apache community.

== Known Risks ==

=== Difficult to refuse platform-specific features ===
"Write Once Run Everywhere" is one of original goal of Weex. But as Weex
provides more feature, we have received more suggestions for implement
single platform exclusive feature.

=== Inexperience with build international community ===
Although we are full of passion about build a successful Opensource project
and a community, Weex initial team lack of experience about participate in
international community. After consulting with our mentors, we know modesty
will be our code of conduct in Apache community.

=== Homogeneous and Reliance on salaried developers ===
Since the Weex Project has been mainly developed to date by Alibaba Inc, the
vast majority of initial committers to the project are from Alibaba Mobile
engineering team. As an Opensource project, Weex project has received lots
bug fixes and enhancements from other developers(not Alibaba Employee). We
will continue to encourage more independent developers to participate in
Weex.

We know Apache Way is about people, not corporations. After Weex developer
community grows, we hope the contribution ratio from Alibaba salaried
developer will decrease.

== Source Code ==
 * Main repository:  https://github.com/alibaba/weex
 * Weex transformer: https://github.com/weexteam/weex-transformer
 * Weex toolkit: https://github.com/weexteam/weex-toolkit
 * Weex loader: https://github.com/weexteam/weex-loader
 * Gulp Weex:   https://github.com/weexteam/gulp-weex

== Documentation ==
 * English Document: http://alibaba.github.io/weex/doc/
 * Chinese Document(English first, currently only partially docs have been
translate to Chinese): https://github.com/weexteam/article/wiki/Weex$BCfJ8J8[c(B

== External Dependencies ==
 * semver(http://semver.org/) developed by Tom Preston-Werner, licensed
under the Creative Commons - CC BY 3.0 License.
 * core-js(https://github.com/zloirock/core-js) developed by Denis
Pushkarev, licensed under the MIT License.
 * vuejs(https://github.com/vuejs/vue) developed by Yuxi Evan You , licensed
under the MIT License.
 * scroll-to (https://github.com/component/scroll-to) developed by
TooTallNate, licensed under the MIT License.
 * Chrome V8(https://developers.google.com/v8/) developed by Google Inc & V8
project authors, licensed under BSD License.
 * css-layout(https://github.com/facebook/css-layout) developed by Facebook
Inc., licensed under the BSD License.

== Required Resources ==
 * Mailing Lists
   * private@weex.incubator.apache.org
   * dev@weex.incubator.apache.org
   * commits@weex.incubator.apache.org
 * Git Repos
   * https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/weex.git
 * Issue Tracking
   * JIRA Weex (WEEX)
 * Continuous Integration
   * Jenkins builds on https://builds.apache.org/
 * Web
   * http://weex.incubator.apache.org/
   * wiki at http://cwiki.apache.org

== Sponsors ==

=== Champion ===
 * Edward J. Yoon (ASF member, Apache Hama)

=== Nominated Mentors ===
 * Luke Han     (Apache Kylin)
 * Longda Feng  (Apache Storm)
 * Willem Jiang (Apache Camel)

== Sponsoring Entity ==
 * The Apache Incubator

== Next Goals ==
 * License all Weex source code and documentation to the Apache Software
Foundation. (We already using Apache license for our main code repository)
 * Setup and standardize the open governance of the Weex Project.
 * Move Weex development activity to Apache infrastructure ( Git repository,
Mail list )

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon

Re: [DISCUSS] Weex for Apache Incubator

Posted by Myrle Krantz <mk...@mifos.org>.
Hi Bono,

As a proficient non-native German speaker, and as a woman who has lived in
German for 17 years:

German's don't get offended about this topic, only amused.  And the
pronunciation is not identical.  The German word Markus is referring to is
pronounced with a short "i" (sort of like the wick of a candle).

In any case, if you're very attached to the name, I wouldn't change it for
this reason.  Just be aware you're going to get some chuckles from Germans
occasionally.

Greets,
Myrle

*Myrle Krantz*
Solutions Architect
RɅĐɅЯ, The Mifos Initiative
mkrantz@mifos.org | Skype: mkrantz.mifos.org | http://mifos.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 1:27 PM, Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...unless somebody really plans to veto the incubation proposal due to this
> very minor linguistic issue and considering the fact that the project has
> some history and is already publicly known under this name I would drop
> this issue...

An incubation proposal cannot be vetoed.

A project name could be rejected by the Board when graduating if we
feel it puts the foundation at risk.

A blatant trademark problem might do that, a name that's not
politically correct in some regions won't.

Such name warnings at the beginning of incubation are good IMO as the
further the project progresses the harder it gets to change its name.

In this case, the decision is in the hands of the incoming podling and
its mentors - the comments in this thread should be considered
friendly advice, nothing more.

-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] Weex for Apache Incubator

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Sounds good to me.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
What we are concerned with is whether the name clashes with other
projects or have other potential branding issues. Whether it means
something funny in $language, who cares... :)

I think Weex is just fine. Let's move on.

With regards,
Daniel.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@apache.org>.
Not long ago we had a thread here about English being the work language on
Apache.

We can't expect projects to check (and change) their name based on such
loose criteria.

I bet a lot of names come "close" to some slang word in some world language.

Bertrand's remark seems reasonable to me:

> the comments in this thread should be considered
friendly advice, nothing more.

So there is no incubation-impacting decision to be made here.

În mar., 22 nov. 2016 la 15:03 Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>
a scris:

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
How can the project name be a problem when "weex" sounds to me like the
very common English word *weeks*?

So unless somebody really plans to veto the incubation proposal due to this
very minor linguistic issue and considering the fact that the project has
some history and is already publicly known under this name I would drop
this issue.

--emi

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 1:16 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Bono Lv <lv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...We need a few days for the evaluation, but welcome everybody give us
> suggestion...

There's no hurry but as I said if you're going to change the name, the
sooner the better as it gets harder the more the project progresses.

From the ASF's side I think the only hard requirement is that the name
be acceptable in terms of trademarks - where there's a (small,
debatable) potential for confusion with wix.com.

From a "marketing" point of view having a name that's unfortunate in a
common language is not good.

Vielen Dank ;-)

-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] Weex for Apache Incubator

Posted by Bono Lv <lv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Feng Longda <hu...@gmail.com>.
Changing project's name is not a easy decision, especially it will
destroy the compatibility, all of SDK package namespace will switch to
a new one, A lot of the client applications need to be modified.

Later, BonoLv will raise one thread to discuss changing the project's name.

Posted by BonoLv <lv...@gmail.com>.
Thanks @John

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by BonoLv <lv...@gmail.com>.
The Weex proposal have modified to update the mentors section . Thanks
@Bertrand

Longda is very warmhearted in helping us to learn the Apache way.   We hope
his application will be successful.

I'm Bono Lv from Weex team(one of initial developer) , Thanks all of you
for interest in the project  ;-)

Posted by Feng Longda <hu...@gmail.com>.
@Niclas @Stephan

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
Great, thanks for volunteering, Niclas!

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.
In that case, I think a new project name will better for next step.

Best Regards!

Luke Han

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@samsung.com>.
I personally felt that Weex is suggestive of "we ex-"., and thought not bad
for UI/UX project.  e.g., We experience, We experts, ...

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.