Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dan Stephens <Da...@hotmail.com> on 2003/10/22 16:38:34 UTC

[users@httpd] installation trouble

    I'm running RH 7.2 on my server and was running 1.3.something. I then tried to upgrade to 2.0.4 and in the completion of it have run into some serious problems.

-I installed httpd-2.0.40 from a tarball and I think I did it correctly (tar xvf, make, make install, make clean, ./configure), but my box still doesn't seem to be able to find it (service start httpd comes back with httpd isn't installed
-I have uninstalled 1.3.whatever successfully, but now my /etc/init.d/httpd file isn't looking to my new version of httpd, not that my box even recognizes the new httpd installed at all.
-I am a bit frustrated, as this has been a problem i've had nagging me for quite some time, if anyone could explain to me how to install httpd correctly from a tarball, including how to make the box recognize and start it, please let me know, thank you very much,
   Dan

Re: [users@httpd] installation trouble

Posted by lists <li...@linuxprofessional.net>.
You have to configure before you make.

msl

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
Try `telnet localhost 80` and then, if it accepts connections, type in "GET
/ HTTP/1.0" ctrl+m ctrl+j.  If you get a response, check out the Server:
line.  Should be something similar to:
Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) PHP/4.2.3 mod_ssl/2.8.11 OpenSSL/0.9.6g

The server line will give you an idea of what is listening on port 80.

Posted by "P.Rajeshwar" <ra...@india.adventnet.com>.
You may get this message :

[root@mail root]# /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start

(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80

when you have configured apache to use same port (80) again and again.
For example, if you have the following configuration :

*Listen 80**
**Listen 80**
*
This configuration will display the meesage that you have mentioned.
Please check your configuration with this information. Or please
specifiy configuration changes that you have made.

-- Rajeshwar

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.
try

telnet 127.0.0.1 80

and see if there is something listening there.
You can also do a pstree and see if there is any httpd running
You can kill other Apache instances with
killall httpd

Cheers

Daniel

--
Teach Yourself Apache 2 -- http://apacheworld.org/ty24/

Re: [users@httpd] installation trouble

Posted by timuel <ti...@voicenet.com>.
Dan,

Sounds like you`d be better off installing a RedHat RPM. "rc" scripts are quite
often very different between distro`s and unix`es and is only one of the many
reasons that their installation is not typically part of the autoconf process.
Also, the "apachectl" command is native to apache for daemon control -- RedHat`s
"service crap restart" is exactly that -- RedHat`s.

If you don`t want to use RPMS and want to compile from source, then look into
sending the various "--prefix" flags to your "./configure" script to match your
current install locations. Regardless you should definately at the very least
give your INSTALL file a good once-over...

With that said, to get this working quickly/sloppily, as long as your new
install completed correctly you should be able to adjust the paths in your "rc
scripts", or else use chkconfig to remove your current setup, rpm -e to remove
your old apache, make new RC scrips, copy and symlink them to the right places,
and then use chkconfig to re-add the service... (if you`re too lazy for that you
could just remove httpd/apache from "setup" and "rpm -e apache-1.3x", figure out
where you put your new apachectl
script and add a line with "/path/to/apachectl start" into /etc/rc.local)

--
Timothy G. Wesemann

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.
Ian Stuart wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 10:27, J. Greenlees wrote:
>
>>Ian Stuart wrote:

>>>To see how >I< build apache 2, see
>>>http://lucas.ucs.ed.ac.uk/tutorials/apache/index.html#2.x
>>>

>>um you didn't really ./configure after make make install make clean did you?
>>that is what it looks like, and could also have caused many errors
>>during the install process.
>
> I'm not sure which message this comment is refering to - I do configure,
> make, make install for the code, then configure, test, start for the new
> server...
>

>>installing as root for something like apache is probably a better idea,
>>simply because then it doesn't get hit with the non root users limits.
>
> I install as non-root for two main reasons:
> 1) to be able to provide limits (via quota) on the space used, if I want
> 2) to provide a second layer of security - I don't like to log in as
> root unless I absolutely >have< to... installing a perfectly usable web
> server does not require root access - In my scheme, only the final edit
> for the rcinit.d files requires root access :)
>
> As I always say - there is my way, and then there are several other
> ways. My way is not always the best way, but it's what I do :)

true, I noticed that it only requires power and boot to the login, not
even a login for apache to run when installed as root.
and run as apache.apache or nobody.nobody you can still use quota if you
want.

not sure why it didn't instal for you.

Re: [users@httpd] installation trouble

Posted by Ian Stuart <Ia...@ed.ac.uk>.
On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 10:27, J. Greenlees wrote:
> Ian Stuart wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 15:38, Dan Stephens wrote:

> >>-I installed httpd-2.0.40 from a tarball and I think I did it correctly
> >>(tar xvf, make, make install, make clean, ./configure), but my box
> >>still doesn't seem to be able to find it (service start httpd comes
> >>back with httpd isn't installed
> >>

> >To see how >I< build apache 2, see
> >http://lucas.ucs.ed.ac.uk/tutorials/apache/index.html#2.x
> >

> um you didn't really ./configure after make make install make clean did you?
> that is what it looks like, and could also have caused many errors
> during the install process.
I'm not sure which message this comment is refering to - I do configure,
make, make install for the code, then configure, test, start for the new
server...

> installing as root for something like apache is probably a better idea,
> simply because then it doesn't get hit with the non root users limits.
I install as non-root for two main reasons:
1) to be able to provide limits (via quota) on the space used, if I want
2) to provide a second layer of security - I don't like to log in as
root unless I absolutely >have< to... installing a perfectly usable web
server does not require root access - In my scheme, only the final edit
for the rcinit.d files requires root access :)

As I always say - there is my way, and then there are several other
ways. My way is not always the best way, but it's what I do :)

--
--==++
Ian Stuart: Edinburgh University Data Library.

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
              -- Mary.

 Personal web site: http://lucas.ucs.ed.ac.uk/

Re: [users@httpd] installation trouble

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.

Posted by Ian Stuart <Ia...@ed.ac.uk>.

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
>>-I installed httpd-2.0.40 from a tarball and I think I did it correctly
(tar xvf, make, make install, make clean, ./configure), but my box still
doesn't seem to be able to find it (service start httpd comes back with
httpd isn't installed<<

I'll assume you meant tar -xzvf ;)

>>-I have uninstalled 1.3.whatever successfully, but now my
/etc/init.d/httpd file isn't looking to my new version of httpd, not that my
box even recognizes the new httpd installed at all. <<

You need to figure out where httpd was installed to.  Honestly, I've never
installed 2.x, so I can't give you any base info on where to look.

You can, however, use the locate command to find httpd on your computer.
`locate httpd`  If that doesn't show anything useful, you'll probably need
to make and then make install apache 2.0 again, noting the output from make
install.  You should see something like "cp (something)
/usr/local/apache-2.0.40/"  That /usr/local/apache-2.0.40/ dir is what you
want to find.

Once you've found that, you'll need to manually start apache;
/usr/local/apache-2.0.40/bin/apachectl start. (2.0 has apachectl right?)

If apache starts ok, then you can edit /etc/init.d/httpd to have it point to
the right place.

>>-I am a bit frustrated, as this has been a problem i've had nagging me for
quite some time, if anyone could explain to me how to install httpd
correctly from a tarball, including how to make the box recognize and start
it, please let me know, thank you very much,<<

GNU/Linux is very good at some things, and initial ease of use isn't one of
them.  Once you start understanding how things work and where things go, it
all becomes much easier :)  Just remember, tab completetion is your friend!

-Jacob