Posted to dev@druid.apache.org by zeng jienan <ze...@hotmail.com> on 2019/03/29 07:15:36 UTC

Data Types

Hi,

Will druid support other data types in the future? Such as boolean, byte, short, int.

Re: Data Types

Posted by zeng jienan <ze...@hotmail.com>.
I currently want to try to use druid to store detailed data, using computing engine such as presto, spark directly pull data from the druid for sql query.  With druid columnar storage and inverted indexing,  I expect it will achieve good query performance, while supporting real-time data write

Of course, there may be some problems。Here are some of the challenges I have come up with.

1. Each data requires a time attribute
	For dimension tables, the __time column gives a default constant value, and the fact table generally has a time column.
2. Index Overhead
	For a string column that does not use an index, it is forbidden to build an inverted index, reducing the index creation overhead.
3. data type
	I think there are several advantages to the refinement of the data type.
		1. It will be more friendly for users who are transferred from other databases.
		2. Proper data types can reduce storage space and of course accelerate calculations indirectly
	Of course, I also think that the current data type is enough.

Re: Data Types

Posted by Gian Merlino <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: Data Types

Posted by Charles Allen <ch...@snap.com.INVALID>.