Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Freddy Villalba <fv...@pericless.com> on 2004/09/06 15:04:57 UTC

Newbie to Version 5.5

Hi,

I just downloaded version 5.5. I'm interested in having several instances of
the server running on the same Windows machine (different ports, obviously).
Is this possible? Where can I find the documentation for doing so? In case
it is not possible (with a single installation), is it possible to have
Tomcat installed several times on the same Windows machine (and have them
run concurrently)?

Thanx in advance, everybody.
Freddy.

Re: Newbie to Version 5.5

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:04:57 +0200, Freddy Villalba
<fv...@pericless.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded version 5.5. I'm interested in having several instances of
> the server running on the same Windows machine (different ports, obviously).
> Is this possible? Where can I find the documentation for doing so? In case
> it is not possible (with a single installation), is it possible to have
> Tomcat installed several times on the same Windows machine (and have them
> run concurrently)?

One word of advice if you're new to Tomcat: the 5.5 branch is in alpha
mode right now, and there are things which don't work right in 5.5.0.
You at least be ready to upgrade frequently to pick up the bugfixes.
If you want a good first experience, try 5.0.28.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat

RE: Newbie to Version 5.5

Posted by Freddy Villalba <fv...@pericless.com>.
Yes, QM. You are absolutely right. If I use different copies of the files, I
can start them in different environments with a .bat and that would isolate
the "local" value for each one. Right?

However, is it possible to have multiple instances run as separate Windows
services (so I am able to shutdown / start them up independently? (again,
the variable value issue and all of that)

Thanx in advance,
Freddy.

RE: Newbie to Version 5.5

Posted by Freddy Villalba <fv...@pericless.com>.
Thanks, Tim.

Just one more question... if I copy the dist files, how am I supposed to
configure the CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE variables for each copy???
(it's unique, so it can't be valid for all the copies I configure, am I
right?)

I really appreciate your help.

Cheers.

Yes. The easiest way is to make multiple copies of the dist in different
directries and make sure server.xml soes not have any overlapping ports.

So ...
- get it working
- copy the distribution to a new dir
- Change the ports,addresses, dirs as needed

-Tim

Re: Newbie to Version 5.5

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.