Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by frame <xs...@yahoo.com> on 2012/04/26 20:28:11 UTC

a TortoiseSVN error during update

Hi,
I work on both Linux and PC. On Linux, we use subversion and there is no
any problem. On PC, I use TortoiseSVN. There is a big sub-dir within our
whole tree and it always causes problem when I run svn update. The update
went for a while, then I hit this error message:

svn: E235000: In file
'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.7.1\ext\subversion\subversion\libsvn_wc\update_editor.c'
line 1582: asserti
on failed (action == svn_wc_conflict_action_edit || action ==
svn_wc_conflict_action_delete || action == svn_wc_conflict_action_replace)

Then the whole tree is locked.

Other directories within the tree, parallel to this one, do not have such
problem. I am wondering if this directory is tooo big and hit some limits
of the TortoiseSVN program.

How can I solve this problem so that I can update smoothly on PC? Thank you
very much.

Re: a TortoiseSVN error during update

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 07:24:52AM -0700, frame wrote:
> One side issue, in my previous version, (I don't remember exactly how I
> installed), there is svn.exe inside bin/ directory. I like to use it on
> Cygwin command line. But now, svn.exe is not there any more. I have to use
> svn on Window Explorer, which is fine, but not my preferred way.

Re-install tortoisesvn and make sure to select the command-line tools
option during install. It is off by default.

> Google says it is correct that svn.exe is not available in TortoiseSVN. But
> I indeed had it. A bit confused.

Google is talking about the past, not the present.

Re: a TortoiseSVN error during update

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ul...@dominolaser.com>.
Am 02.05.2012 17:45, schrieb frame:
> Another minor issue, on the web page, it states the following:
>
> The current version is 1.7.6
>
> For detailed info on what's new, read the changelog<http://tortoisesvn.net/Changelog.txt>
>  and the release notes <http://tortoisesvn.net/tsvn_1.7_releasenotes.html>.
>
> The current version 1.7.6 is linked against the Subversion library 1.7.4.
>
> What is that mean?

TortoiseSVN 1.7.6 was linked against Subversion 1.7.4 [libraries]. TSVN
is a separate project built on top of SVN. Typically, whenever SVN
releases a new version, TSVN releases a new version, too, based on the
newer SVN. However, additional code also implies additional bugs, so now
and the TSVN has to increase its own patch version beyond that of SVN to
fix a few buglets that just can't wait till the next SVN release cycle.

> I saw from the Cygwin command line shown below. I was
> expecting to see 1.7.6

The above doesn't apply to the commandline client. TSVN's distribution
is also an SVN distribution.

BTW:
1. TSVN is a separate project with a separate mailinglist. You are
barking up the wrong tree. ;^)
2. Take care that Cygwin is an OS inside an OS. As such, there is also a
port of SVN to Cygwin. Mixing those can cause trouble, if e.g. the line
endings are configured to LF for Cygwin. One SVN client will honor
those, the other won't.

Greetings!

Uli
Domino Laser GmbH, Fangdieckstraße 75a, 22547 Hamburg, Deutschland
Visit our website at http://www.dominolaser.com
Diese E-Mail einschließlich sämtlicher Anhänge ist nur für den Adressaten bestimmt und kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie den Absender umgehend, falls Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfänger sein sollten. Die E-Mail ist in diesem Fall zu löschen und darf weder gelesen, weitergeleitet, veröffentlicht oder anderweitig benutzt werden.
E-Mails können durch Dritte gelesen werden und Viren sowie nichtautorisierte Änderungen enthalten. Domino Laser GmbH ist für diese Folgen nicht verantwortlich.

Re: a TortoiseSVN error during update

Posted by frame <xs...@yahoo.com>.
OK. I just re-installed, selecting command line option. Now, svn.exe is
available.

Another minor issue, on the web page, it states the following:

The current version is 1.7.6

For detailed info on what's new, read the changelog<http://tortoisesvn.net/Changelog.txt>
 and the release notes <http://tortoisesvn.net/tsvn_1.7_releasenotes.html>.

The current version 1.7.6 is linked against the Subversion library 1.7.4.

What is that mean? I saw from the Cygwin command line shown below. I was
expecting to see 1.7.6

$ svn --version
svn, version 1.7.4 (r1295709)
   compiled Mar  8 2012, 18:47:27

Copyright (C) 2012 The Apache Software Foundation.
This software consists of contributions made by many people; see the NOTICE
file for more information.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.apache.org/

Re: a TortoiseSVN error during update

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ul...@dominolaser.com>.
Am 26.04.2012 20:28, schrieb frame:
> There is a big sub-dir within our whole tree and it always causes
> problem when I run svn update. The update went for a while, then
> I hit this error message:
>
> svn: E235000: In file
> 'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.7.1\ext\subversion\subversion\libsvn_wc\update_editor.c'
> line 1582: asserti
> on failed (action == svn_wc_conflict_action_edit || action ==
> svn_wc_conflict_action_delete || action == svn_wc_conflict_action_replace)
>
> Then the whole tree is locked.

One thing here: 1.7.1 is rather old, quite a few newer patch releases
exist that might already fix this bug. Search the web if this particular
bug was already reported earlier and fixed.

> Other directories within the tree, parallel to this one, do not have
> such problem. I am wondering if this directory is tooo big and hit
> some limits of the TortoiseSVN program.

Possibly this is a limit, but it could also be some unforeseen damage in
the working copy. Was this WC upgraded from pre-1.7 SVN? In any case,
you could try to simply move the directory and then run update again. It
is then considered deleted and automatically restored, which leaves you
with the task to recover the changes from the moved folder. After that,
you should be able to continue working on that working copy.

If this doesn't help, try checking out a complete new WC.

Good luck!

Uli
Domino Laser GmbH, Fangdieckstra�e 75a, 22547 Hamburg, Deutschland
Gesch�ftsf�hrer: Thorsten F�cking, Amtsgericht Hamburg HR B62 932
Visit our website at http://www.dominolaser.com
Diese E-Mail einschlie�lich s�mtlicher Anh�nge ist nur f�r den Adressaten bestimmt und kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie den Absender umgehend, falls Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empf�nger sein sollten. Die E-Mail ist in diesem Fall zu l�schen und darf weder gelesen, weitergeleitet, ver�ffentlicht oder anderweitig benutzt werden.
E-Mails k�nnen durch Dritte gelesen werden und Viren sowie nichtautorisierte �nderungen enthalten. Domino Laser GmbH ist f�r diese Folgen nicht verantwortlich.

Re: a TortoiseSVN error during update

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:28:11AM -0700, frame wrote:
> Hi,
> I work on both Linux and PC. On Linux, we use subversion and there is no
> any problem. On PC, I use TortoiseSVN. There is a big sub-dir within our
> whole tree and it always causes problem when I run svn update. The update
> went for a while, then I hit this error message:
>
> svn: E235000: In file
> 'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.7.1\ext\subversion\subversion\libsvn_wc\update_editor.c'
> line 1582: asserti
> on failed (action == svn_wc_conflict_action_edit || action ==
> svn_wc_conflict_action_delete || action == svn_wc_conflict_action_replace)
>
> Then the whole tree is locked.

Please upgrade to the very latest tortoisesvn release (currently 1.7.6,
not 1.7.1 which you're running) and check if the problem persists.
Thanks.