Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Leon Pu <le...@yahoo.com.cn> on 2005/12/02 15:32:02 UTC

Tar with original permission setting

Hi all,

could anybody tell me how to use Ant's tar task to tar files and
directories with their original permission setting in Linux?

Best regards,
Leon

Re: Tar with original permission setting

Posted by Jeffrey E Care <ca...@us.ibm.com>.
This has been discussed many times before. Until JSR 203
(http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=203) is delivered it's basically
impossible to do, as java.io.File does not provide access to the file
attributes from the underlying native file system.

If you absolutely need to preserve the existing file permissions (instead
of defining your own) then you must exec the native tar executable on your
platform.

JEC
--
Jeffrey E. Care (carej@us.ibm.com)