Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2011/01/26 20:41:58 UTC

Re: [CONF] Apache Felix > DEPENDENCIES file template

Is this about a file named DEPENDENCIES or a file named NOTICE?  Does "must" mean apache policy or felix policy?  If it's about a file named DEPENDENCIES I suggest you don't call it a notice file;  I was confused enough to write this note.

By apache policy, a DEPENDENCIES file is completely optional and has no specified content.  The maven-remote-resources plugin generates one but I'm starting to think it was a bad idea that I shouldn't have introduced.

This does not relate well to whats needed in a NOTICE file either.  The NOTICE file should not mention non-included content nor licenses of included content.

I think it's really confusing to duplicate content between the (apache-optional) DEPENDENCIES file and the required NOTICE and LICENSE files.  The LICENSE file needs complete license info for what's in the artifact.  This appears to munge together the license info for the contents and the dependencies.  The text at the top looks confusingly similar to the text of the apache NOTICE file.  Judging by the amount of confusion here at apache about NOTICE file text, I think having anything that looks even vaguely similar in another non-legal file is just going to make the actual license requirements incomprehensible to any outsider.

david jencks

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
This is just Felix policy about a file named DEPENDENCIES. The document
evolved from a NOTICE file policy, so those references to a "notice
file" are from that history...I've now edited them out.

The purpose of the DEPENDENCIES file is for us to be able to audit our
license dependencies (and to give some credit to other projects). We
have the possibility to generate this in some cases, but nothing that
works in all cases, so that does suck.

Regardless, the cost is usually a one-time investment with potential
incremental changes in the future if dependencies change.

-> richard