Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "Sebastian Bazley (Apache)" <se...@apache.org> on 2006/06/11 16:40:52 UTC

License requirements for code contributions from Bugzilla and JIRA

The scenario:

I'm a committer on an Apache project.
A non-committer has attached some files to a Bugzilla or JIRA issue
that I would like to add to the project.

Bugzilla
======
What do I need to ask the person to do to ensure that the appropriate
license is granted?

Is it sufficient for the files to contain the ASF license?

What about patches to existing files (they won't usually contain any
license text) ?

JIRA
====
In the case of files attached to a JIRA issue, there is a radio button
for the Attachment License, one of the options being "Grant license to
ASF for inclusion in ASF works"

Is this sufficient to allow the attachment to be added to an Apache project?

What if the contribution already includes a non-ASF license header?