Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Sylvester <sy...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/01 13:15:45 UTC

Difference between wire tap and multicast

Hi,

Looking at the example on the website, it appears to me that there is no
difference between a multi cast and a wire tap, except in the
programmer's mind. Is this true? So,

   1. Is there a way of telling camel: "Hey this is a wire tap, not a
      multicast"? Or is the wire-tap just another endpoint that only the
      programmer knows is the wire tap and treats it accordingly?
   2. Is multi-cast the only way to implement a wire-tap? (both #1 and
      #2 maybe very similar)

Thanks,
Sylvester

Re: Difference between wire tap and multicast

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

#1 Yes. The message is not decorated by Camel to pinpoint this is the
wiretap. But could be an idea for a wiretap DSL that would do this so
the reciever could not it was a wiretap.

#2 Yes if you want to send the same message and letting the wiretap
get the message at the same time. But you could also use pipes and
filters EIP (pipeline in camel)

See this FAQ entry:
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/how-to-send-the-same-message-to-multiple-endpoints.html

/Claus Ibsen