Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Friedman, Brad" <Br...@disa.mil> on 2005/09/08 14:59:38 UTC

Subversion for worldwide use with windows and Unix based clients

I have a Win 2003 Server running Apache 2.0.54 and SVN 1.2.1. I have no
experience with setting up an Subversion server. I believe I have the
repository installed correctly. How would I go about setting up a secure
server that would allow logins from unix and win clients. Would I have to
use SSL SSPI?. Is there a better soulution then using SVN in regards to an
internet available SCM. It seems that these open source systems are not
robust in the area of wide area use. I dont have the server set up as a
domain controller. If at all possible I would appreciate the opportunity to
contact someone via phone so that I could solve this problem. I am not a
programmer so you all know alot more about these issues then I. Thanks.

Re: Subversion for worldwide use with windows and Unix based clients

Posted by Dave Pawson <da...@gmail.com>.
On 08/09/05, Friedman, Brad <Br...@disa.mil> wrote:
> I have a Win 2003 Server running Apache 2.0.54 and SVN 1.2.1. I have no
> experience with setting up an Subversion server. I believe I have the
> repository installed correctly. How would I go about setting up a secure
> server that would allow logins from unix and win clients. Would I have to
> use SSL SSPI?.

<caveat newbie speaking/>
Apache setup (mine was on Linux) followed exactly what I read in 'the book'.
IIRC the Windows Apache setup is nearly identical, excepting the location
of the configuration files.
I've set up apache on windows 2000 without any problems. Check out the
Apache documentation; there's lots on secure access there.

I'm happily accessing it via password protection (I selected one from a number
offered in the book) from both clients.

I guess it's as secure as Apache?
  Since an aweful lot of secure data is held secure by Apache,
I guess it should be good enough for most of us?

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

Re: Subversion for worldwide use with windows and Unix based clients

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Friedman, Brad" <Br...@disa.mil> writes:
> I have a Win 2003 Server running Apache 2.0.54 and SVN 1.2.1. I have no
> experience with setting up an Subversion server. I believe I have the
> repository installed correctly. How would I go about setting up a secure
> server that would allow logins from unix and win clients. Would I have to
> use SSL SSPI?. Is there a better soulution then using SVN in regards to an
> internet available SCM. It seems that these open source systems are not
> robust in the area of wide area use. I dont have the server set up as a
> domain controller. If at all possible I would appreciate the opportunity to
> contact someone via phone so that I could solve this problem. I am not a
> programmer so you all know alot more about these issues then I. Thanks.

Via http://www.collab.net/subversion/ you can reach some consultants.
(There may be other sources of consulting out there, this is just the
one that I know of.)

Good luck,
-Karl

--