Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> on 2013/03/25 10:50:09 UTC

Re: [somewhat OT] runtime.exec "cmd.exe /C net use"

Howard W. Smith, Jr. wrote:
>> Hi Jeffrey,
>>
>> Yes, I now get it. Thanks for the lesson on Windows Networking (I thought
>> I knew well) and thanks to Andre as well.
>> You also said that if all I wanted to do was make a list of mapping appear
>> in an html page (without actually using them
>> in your application), you can just fake it as previously discussed. I
>> think I missed that part.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Pat
>>

> Glad you understand now. I was about to provide a response similar to
> Andre's previous response. This all reminds me of a similar situation
> within my TomEE/Tomcat7 web app.
>
> On my development server (Windows 2008 server 64-bit), I am 'always' logged
> in and coding/etc, which means I always test the web app via NetBeans
> (which provide the infamous 'console' that is mentioned throughout this
> thread). I developed this piece of code that uses JODConverter to call
> OpenOffice.org at/via port 2002, and this allows my web app to convert
> files to PDF after enduser uploads certain documents (Word docs, excel,
> etc...). So, that all works on my development server. Why? because I am
> logged in everytime while testing and the app is 'never' running as a
> Windows 'service' on my development server.
>
> So, i deploy my web app to target/production server (Windows 2003 Server
> and/or Windows Server 2008). For many months now, I have wondered 'why' the
> code will not work on the 'production' server but it runs/works 'everytime'
> on my development server. Finally, recently (after many months of research
> and/or multiple attempts of trying to debug/resolve the problem), I either
> read somewhere or finally realized that the code will 'not' work because my
> web app is running as a service, and for whatever reason (of course a
> 'Windows' reason), the code will 'not' work while running as a service.
>
> So, I am left to coding another implementation to convert files after
> upload, use another library, and ditch the JODConverter/OpenOffice.org
> approach.

Maybe of interest to you : I do use JODConverter+OpenOffice in the circumstances which you
describe (and for the same reason), within a perl program running as a Windows Service,
and it works fine.  I don't think I have ever precisely done that on a Windows 2008
Server, but I do have that running on various other Windows platforms (Win2K, WinXP,
Windows-7, Windows 2003 server) since years, and have converted hundreds of thousands of
documents with it.
(A bit on the side : you may also want to have a look at LibreOffice, which does away with
the need of a JODConverter-like interface; but I do not know (yet) how good it is at
generating PDFs from MS-Office documents).

If I can help, we can continue this discussion off-list if you want.

Re: [somewhat OT] runtime.exec "cmd.exe /C net use"

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 5:50 AM, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> upload, use another library, and ditch the JODConverter/OpenOffice.org
>> approach.
>>

> Maybe of interest to you : I do use JODConverter+OpenOffice in the
> circumstances which you describe (and for the same reason), within a perl
> program running as a Windows Service, and it works fine.  I don't think I
> have ever precisely done that on a Windows 2008 Server, but I do have that
> running on various other Windows platforms (Win2K, WinXP, Windows-7,
> Windows 2003 server) since years, and have converted hundreds of thousands
> of documents with it.
> (A bit on the side : you may also want to have a look at LibreOffice,
> which does away with the need of a JODConverter-like interface; but I do
> not know (yet) how good it is at generating PDFs from MS-Office documents).
>
> If I can help, we can continue this discussion off-list if you want.

Interesting indeed and thanks for the response. I knew (and was confident)
that there was way to get it all working, that I was tried-and-tried for
months (multiple attempts) to get it working, and still, i have 'not'
ultimately removed it from the app...lol. I've added many things to the app
and endusers are not using all the nice bells and whistles that I have
added. they pretty much use what they really need to complete day-to-day
operations. sometimes, i add things to the app that I know would be useful
(for power users...like myself).