Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by Paul Cullum <pc...@N-able.com> on 2003/02/06 18:29:59 UTC

Incremental processing...

I've been dealing with some extremely large source XML files that are
several GB in size.  I apologize if this is a FAQ question but how does
one process large files incrementally using Xalan-C?  Xalan-J seems to
have an incremental option in the XalanTransformer, is there something
similar in Xalan-C that I am overlooking?

Thanks,
Paul

Re: Incremental processing...

Posted by David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM <da...@us.ibm.com>.

Hi Paul,

There is no incremental model in Xalan-C's default source tree.  However,
you could implement your own, or modify the current implementation to do
that sort of thing.  Xalan-C's source tree implementation is pretty
compact, but a 2 GB document will definitely use up a few bytes of memory.
;-)  I've also done some recent work to optimize space for elements which
do not have any attributes, so depending on what your documents look like,
you might see lower memory requirements with the latest code.

Regarding Xalan-J's incremental model -- A node is only built if you touch
it, but once built, it's never discarded, so you may or may not realize any
benefit from doing things incrementally,

Dave

                      Paul Cullum
                      <pcullum@N-able.         To:      Xalan-C <xa...@xml.apache.org>
                      com>                     cc:      (bcc: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)
                                               Subject: Incremental processing...
                      02/06/2003 09:29
                      AM