Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by "S. Ali Tokmen" <no...@alishomepage.com> on 2007/06/14 19:00:40 UTC

Windows Explorer add-in: ANT build

Hello, everyone

I'm a person who uses Windows for development and everyday usage, and don't
like
typing commands on consoles that much. And, ANT is a more "command-line"
kind of
tool. On the other hand, in most cases, one only calls the "default" target
of
an XML build file (which probably is "build + JAR + install + test that
project").

So I thought: what if I added an "ANT build" action to the file type "XML",
and
associate it with ANT? Which I have done with a small registry trick, I'm
adding
it to this e-mail.

To apply the registry file:

    - First, make sure that the JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME environment variables
are properly defined, and that the PATH environment variable contains ANT's
bin folder
    - Now, extract the ZIP file. One .reg file should come out
    - Double click on that file, click on "yes"

Once you apply that registry file to Windows:

    - When you right click on an XML file, an option called "ANT build" will
appear
    - If you click that option, ant.bat is launched with as build file
(the -f option in ant.bat) the XML you had right clicked
    - It will then execute the default action of that ANT build file

I found that useful, and therefore wanted to share it with you. I hope you
like
it, perhaps one can also add it to the ANT SVN (or CVS?) base.

Have a nice day, everyone

S. Ali Tokmen
http://ali.tokmen.com

GSM (fr): +33 6 24 29 79 13
GSM (tr): +90 555 266 52 73

My AIM, ICQ, MSN Messenger, and Yahoo IM
contact details are on http://contact.ali.tokmen.com/

Re: Windows Explorer add-in: ANT build

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

You might be interested in AntShellExt:
http://www.elpagestion.com/os_ant_en.shtml

It allows to integrate with windows explorer as your registry trick, but
also to choose the target.

It doesn't work on my box though (windows vista), so I can't tell how useful
it is.

Xavier

On 6/14/07, S. Ali Tokmen <no...@alishomepage.com> wrote:

> Hello, everyone
>
> I'm a person who uses Windows for development and everyday usage, and
> don't
> like
> typing commands on consoles that much. And, ANT is a more "command-line"
> kind of
> tool. On the other hand, in most cases, one only calls the "default"
> target
> of
> an XML build file (which probably is "build + JAR + install + test that
> project").
>
> So I thought: what if I added an "ANT build" action to the file type
> "XML",
> and
> associate it with ANT? Which I have done with a small registry trick, I'm
> adding
> it to this e-mail.
>
> To apply the registry file:
>
>     - First, make sure that the JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME environment
> variables
> are properly defined, and that the PATH environment variable contains
> ANT's
> bin folder
>     - Now, extract the ZIP file. One .reg file should come out
>     - Double click on that file, click on "yes"
>
> Once you apply that registry file to Windows:
>
>     - When you right click on an XML file, an option called "ANT build"
> will
> appear
>     - If you click that option, ant.bat is launched with as build file
> (the -f option in ant.bat) the XML you had right clicked
>     - It will then execute the default action of that ANT build file
>
> I found that useful, and therefore wanted to share it with you. I hope you
> like
> it, perhaps one can also add it to the ANT SVN (or CVS?) base.
>
> Have a nice day, everyone
>
> S. Ali Tokmen
> http://ali.tokmen.com
>
> GSM (fr): +33 6 24 29 79 13
> GSM (tr): +90 555 266 52 73
>
> My AIM, ICQ, MSN Messenger, and Yahoo IM
> contact details are on http://contact.ali.tokmen.com/

Manage your dependencies with Ivy!
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/