Posted to user@struts.apache.org by temp temp <mi...@yahoo.com> on 2006/02/13 16:37:01 UTC

filters in web application

In a web application can I use several filters like 20 to 30 filters  each of them serving some functionallity usefull for  more than  one '.do' .Is this a good design  or  there  could be  any performance issues when using several filters  in a web  application.
  Thanks & regards

---------------------------------

Re: filters in web application

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.
This all depends on what your filters do.
If each filter is creating wrappers, analysing output stream and so on,
you could indeed get performances issues.
Consider each filter is about 3~4 additional stack level.
Also each filter = 1 object + it's configuration datas
Basically a filter is <do
something><callnextfilter><dosomethingelse><return>
if your do sometings are trivials, there shouldn't be much performances
hits, except for the fact you call lots of methode to get the job done :)

Why do you need so much filters?