Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/23 17:50:03 UTC

Fwd: New Account doesn't have full name

Looks like there are a couple of issues here.

The entries in new-account-reqs.txt that have not been processed are incorrect. It looks like the Public Name was put into the Full Name field.

This is probably just a bug in the code that creates the new account request. Is the same code used in whimsy.new account creation and in workbench.new account creation? Can anyone confirm?

Craig

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 27 July 2018 at 00:33, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I stand corrected.
>
>> On Jul 25, 2018, at 3:04 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 23 July 2018 at 18:50, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Looks like there are a couple of issues here.
>>>
>>> The entries in new-account-reqs.txt that have not been processed are incorrect. It looks like the Public Name was put into the Full Name field.
>>
>> Are you sure?
>>
>> I thought the Full Name field was only used in iclas.txt.
>>
>> AFAIK there is no LDAP attribute for the Legal Name (it would need to
>> be private)
>
> Right. So we have to deal with new account requests with a single name in the second field.
>>
>>> This is probably just a bug in the code that creates the new account request. Is the same code used in whimsy.new account creation and in workbench.new account creation? Can anyone confirm?
>>
>> I suspect the format of new-account-reqs.txt assumes that the second
>> field is the 'cn' attribute and can be space-split to produce
>> givenName and sn.
>>
>> This only works consistently if the Public Name consists of exactly two words.
>>
>> I suspect the new-account-reqs.txt layout needs to be adjusted to
>> include the 3 fields:
>> cn
>> sn
>> givenName
>
> How about this:
>
> cn = name with no changes
> sn = name.split(' ').last

Does not work well for Spanish surnames.

> givenName = name.split(' ').first

In all the above I think name needs to be the Public Name otherwise
there is no point in asking for it.

> Or as Sebb suggests, split name into three fields in the account request so we don't need to go back and fix e.g. William J. Rowe Jr.
>
> Then both new account request and workbench whimsy programs would need to be amended to include all three fields (my favorite choice).

If the split is done by Whimsy, the fields can be pre-populated as
above and the Secretary can make any adjustments as needed.

The new account processing then just does what it is told; it does not
need to do any name massaging.

If we log instances where manual changes have to be made, that might
allow better algorithms to be developed.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
I stand corrected.

> On Jul 25, 2018, at 3:04 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 23 July 2018 at 18:50, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Looks like there are a couple of issues here.
>>
>> The entries in new-account-reqs.txt that have not been processed are incorrect. It looks like the Public Name was put into the Full Name field.
>
> Are you sure?
>
> I thought the Full Name field was only used in iclas.txt.
>
> AFAIK there is no LDAP attribute for the Legal Name (it would need to
> be private)

Right. So we have to deal with new account requests with a single name in the second field.

>> This is probably just a bug in the code that creates the new account request. Is the same code used in whimsy.new account creation and in workbench.new account creation? Can anyone confirm?
>
> I suspect the format of new-account-reqs.txt assumes that the second
> field is the 'cn' attribute and can be space-split to produce
> givenName and sn.
>
> This only works consistently if the Public Name consists of exactly two words.
>
> I suspect the new-account-reqs.txt layout needs to be adjusted to
> include the 3 fields:
> cn
> sn
> givenName