Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> on 2007/06/21 00:57:22 UTC

Commons is TLP

Hi everyone,

The new Commons TLP was established today, with Torsten Curdt as Vice President.

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: Commons is TLP

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Forgot to check this list, feedback enough so it seems :)

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: What about HttpClient?

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
>> The question is really whether the Commons TLP owns the HttpClient
>> codebase.
> Based on the project's charter approved by the Jakarta PMC on Oct 31st,
> 2005 the HttpComponents project is meant to have the ownership of the
> Commons HttpClient codebase
Thats great! Thanks for the link.

> My preference is to not not move stuff around (option 1).

But option 1 does move stuff around. It moves it to commons.apache.org
which is misleading to both the commons and jakarta groups. And is why I
suggested option 3, where HttpClient retains the same URL as now.

Stephen

Re: What about HttpClient?

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 21:26 +0100, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Roland Weber wrote:
> > 1. Keep the httpclient site with the rest of commons
> > and move it to the new TLP domain. We'll have to update
> > the httpclient build with the new location and redeploy.
> > (Anything I've forgotten?)
> >
> > 2. Move the httpclient site to httpcomponents. Since
> > httpcomponents is unlikely to remain in Jakarta
> > indefinitely, that means the site would move again
> > later this year. Two moves within a few months is a
> > bit too disruptive to users for my liking.
> >
> > 3. Keep the httpclient site at it's current location
> > in Jakarta when the rest of the commons site moves.
> > Move it only once to httpcomponents when those leave
> > Jakarta.
>
> The question is really whether the Commons TLP owns the HttpClient
> codebase.

Stephen et al

Based on the project's charter approved by the Jakarta PMC on Oct 31st,
2005 the HttpComponents project is meant to have the ownership of the
Commons HttpClient codebase

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/httpcomponents/project/project-charter.txt

It all did not matter much while we were still one (more or less) happy
family.

My preference is to not not move stuff around (option 1). I am planning
to cut HttpClient 3.1 final release shortly after HttpClient 4.0 alpha1.
3.1 is very likely to be the last release of the HttpClient 3.x codebase
unless some serious security or legal problems are found. There is no
point in investing a lot of efforts into a codeline, which is going to
become dormant very soon.

Oleg

Re: What about HttpClient?

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Roland Weber wrote:
> 1. Keep the httpclient site with the rest of commons
> and move it to the new TLP domain. We'll have to update
> the httpclient build with the new location and redeploy.
> (Anything I've forgotten?)
>
> 2. Move the httpclient site to httpcomponents. Since
> httpcomponents is unlikely to remain in Jakarta
> indefinitely, that means the site would move again
> later this year. Two moves within a few months is a
> bit too disruptive to users for my liking.
>
> 3. Keep the httpclient site at it's current location
> in Jakarta when the rest of the commons site moves.
> Move it only once to httpcomponents when those leave
> Jakarta.

The question is really whether the Commons TLP owns the HttpClient
codebase. I don't believe its terribly sensible for it to do so. All

Re: What about HttpClient?

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Roland Weber wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
>> Plus the svn move will be painful.
>
> I'd like to give the svn move a try rather sooner than
> later. What kind of problems do you expect?

I am beginning to understand. Quite a few links spread
across the site, mainly to code examples. I even found
one link still pointing to cvs :-)
Nightly Builds.
Gump.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: What about HttpClient?

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Henri,

Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 6/24/07, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> 3. Keep the httpclient site at it's current location
>> in Jakarta when the rest of the commons site moves.
>> Move it only once to httpcomponents when those leave
>> Jakarta.
>>
>> Please share your thoughts on this. My preferred option
>> is 3, but I don't know how much trouble that will cause
>> when setting up redirects to the new commons site.
>
> Probably some. Plus the svn move will be painful.

I'd like to give the svn move a try rather sooner than
later. What kind of problems do you expect? My idea is
to copy the current trunk plus old tags/branches to the
new location, followed by an update of the SVN locations
in the site xdocs. Anything I forgot? If I am not mistaken,
the HttpClient build is independent of the commons build.

> Either 1 or 2 seem fine to me and whatever those committing to
> HttpComponent/HttpClient want to do is fine by me. 3 seems painful to
> do.

Ok.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: What about HttpClient? (was: Commons is TLP)

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 6/24/07, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> wrote:

> 1. Keep the httpclient site with the rest of commons
> and move it to the new TLP domain. We'll have to update
> the httpclient build with the new location and redeploy.
> (Anything I've forgotten?)
>
> 2. Move the httpclient site to httpcomponents. Since
> httpcomponents is unlikely to remain in Jakarta
> indefinitely, that means the site would move again
> later this year. Two moves within a few months is a
> bit too disruptive to users for my liking.
>
> 3. Keep the httpclient site at it's current location
> in Jakarta when the rest of the commons site moves.
> Move it only once to httpcomponents when those leave
> Jakarta.
>
> Please share your thoughts on this. My preferred option
> is 3, but I don't know how much trouble that will cause
> when setting up redirects to the new commons site.

Probably some. Plus the svn move will be painful.

Either 1 or 2 seem fine to me and whatever those committing to
HttpComponent/HttpClient want to do is fine by me. 3 seems painful to
do.

Hen

What about HttpClient? (was: Commons is TLP)

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Martin van den Bemt wrote:
> +1 to keep httpclient and move it to httpcomponents.

I've taken a first look at things. Moving the tree in
Subversion should be painless. Then we have to update
the SVN links on the website. Changing them in xdocs
is easy, but it will take some careful review to make
sure that the site generated from the new tree location
is still OK. I haven't stumbled across relative links
to outside resources yet, so maybe we're not going to
run into problems from that side.

The commons list of subprojects is hard-coded, so the
missing httpclient subtree in SVN should not affect it.
We will have a problem when the commons website moves
though. I see several options:

1. Keep the httpclient site with the rest of commons
and move it to the new TLP domain. We'll have to update
the httpclient build with the new location and redeploy.
(Anything I've forgotten?)

2. Move the httpclient site to httpcomponents. Since
httpcomponents is unlikely to remain in Jakarta
indefinitely, that means the site would move again
later this year. Two moves within a few months is a
bit too disruptive to users for my liking.

3. Keep the httpclient site at it's current location
in Jakarta when the rest of the commons site moves.
Move it only once to httpcomponents when those leave
Jakarta.

Please share your thoughts on this. My preferred option
is 3, but I don't know how much trouble that will cause
when setting up redirects to the new commons site.

I don't have a Maven 1 environment set up to play around
right now, but I'll give it a try next week-end if time
permits. Oleg will be busy with the upcoming releases.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: Commons is TLP

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Re: Commons is TLP

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.

Re: Commons is TLP

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Re: Commons is TLP

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Re: Commons is TLP

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Yes, but it *still* has a check list of all things to do (as subtasks).
You don't need to clone it but you get an idea what a TLP can
potentially have (e.g. a lot of TLPs did not know about the Solaris
zones).

	Best regards
		Henning

On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 23:33 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> Don't go the subtask route. Keep it all on the one issue as TLP Admin
> and Joe'll take care of things.
>
> Hen
>
> On 6/22/07, Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> > There is a Velocity JIRA Issue with a lot of subtasks that basically has
> > everything that is needed/can be done for a new TLP. Scott cloned it for
> > Turbine, so it is TRB-44 and INFRA-1249. These might be good starting
> > points.
> >
> >         Best regards
> >                 Henning
> >
> > Torsten Curdt schrieb:

> > > ...so where do we start with the TLP move is the question :)
> > >
> > > cheers
> > > --
> > > Torsten

> > --
> > Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux
> > 91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person
> > Open Source Consulting, Development, Design    | Velocity - Turbine
> >
> >           "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."

Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,               |gls
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person              |eau
Open Source Consulting, Development, Design    | Velocity - Turbine guy     |rwc
                                                                            |m k
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350     |a s
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen |n

Re: Commons is TLP

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Re: Commons is TLP

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Commons is TLP

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Commons is TLP

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Re: Commons is TLP

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Re: Commons is TLP

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
On 22/06/07, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> Well, except that commons.apache.org already exists, and has a web "site"
> that refers to the Jakarta, XML and Web Services Commons sites. Are there
> any other DNS changes that we need?

Ah, but of course :) Cool.

- Brett

Re: Commons is TLP

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Commons is TLP

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Commons is TLP

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 6/21/07, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/22/07, Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 21.06.2007, at 00:57, Martin van den Bemt wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > The new Commons TLP was established today, with Torsten Curdt as
> > > Vice President.
> >
> > ...so where do we start with the TLP move is the question :)
>
> I believe the first step is to create a Jira ticket for infrastructure
> (under TLP admin) - examples here:
>
>    http://tinyurl.com/35fr4k
>
> I found the following which might help - not sure if there are
> specific TLP docs:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/reporting-issues.html

There are (somewhere) and they lie.

The trick is to copy a previous TLP one. That is, make an issue,
category=TLP Admin, and put all the information in that single issue.

Joe will then work with you to get all the bits taken care of.
Priority is the mailing list and the unix group (as that makes life
easier on various other parts of the move). We may have some
interesting times on that one if we clash with the previous commons
mailing lists. ie) Do we go with the clash, or do we choose different
names.

Unless someone beats me to it, I'll go ahead and make the changes in JIRA.

Hen

Re: Commons is TLP

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 6/22/07, Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 21.06.2007, at 00:57, Martin van den Bemt wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > The new Commons TLP was established today, with Torsten Curdt as
> > Vice President.
>
> ...so where do we start with the TLP move is the question :)

I believe the first step is to create a Jira ticket for infrastructure
(under TLP admin) - examples here:

   http://tinyurl.com/35fr4k

I found the following which might help - not sure if there are
specific TLP docs:

http://www.apache.org/dev/reporting-issues.html

Niall

Re: Commons is TLP