Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Mahender Sarangam <Ma...@outlook.com> on 2016/07/18 20:59:54 UTC

Re: ORC does not support type conversion from INT to STRING.

Hi Mich,

Sorry for delay in responding. here is the scenario,

We have created new cluster  and we have moved all ORC File data into new cluster. We have re-created table pointing to ORC location. We have modified data type of ORC table from INT to String. From then onward, we were unable to fire select statement against this ORC table, hive keep throwing exception, "Orc table select. Unable to convert Int to String". Looks like it is bug in ORC table only. Where in we modify the datatype from int to string, is causing problem with ORC reading/select statement, it throws exceptio. Please let me know if there are any workaround for this scenario. Is this behavior expected previously also.

/Mahender

On 6/14/2016 11:47 AM, Mich Talebzadeh wrote:
you must excuse my ignorance

can you please elaborate on this as there seems something has gone wrong somewhere?

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn  https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=AAEAAAAWh2gBxianrbJd6zP6AcPCCdOABUrV8Pw

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com<http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com/>

On 14 June 2016 at 19:42, Mahender Sarangam <Ma...@outlook.com>> wrote:

Yes Mich. We have restored cluster from metastore.

On 6/14/2016 11:35 AM, Mich Talebzadeh wrote:
Hi Mahendar,

Did you load the meta-data DB/schema from backup and now seeing this error

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn  https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=AAEAAAAWh2gBxianrbJd6zP6AcPCCdOABUrV8Pw

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

On 14 June 2016 at 19:04, Mahender Sarangam <Ma...@outlook.com>> wrote:

ping.

On 6/13/2016 1:19 PM, Mahender Sarangam wrote:

Hi,

We are facing issue while reading data from ORC table. We have created ORC table and dumped data into it. We have deleted cluster due to some reason. When we recreated cluster (using Metastore) and table pointing to same location. When we perform reading from ORC table. We see below error.

SELECT col2, Col1,
  reflect("java.util.UUID", "randomUUID") AS ID,
  Source,
 1     ,
SDate,
EDate
FROM Table ORC  JOIN Table2 _surr;

ERROR : Vertex failed, vertexName=Map 1, vertexId=vertex_1465411930667_0212_1_01, diagnostics=[Task failed, taskId=task_1465411930667_0212_1_01_000000, diagnostics=[TaskAttempt 0 failed, info=[Error: Failure while running task:java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: ORC does not support type conversion from INT to STRING.

I think issue is reflect("java.util.UUID", "randomUUID") AS ID

I know there is Bug raised while reading data from ORC table. Is there any workaround apart from reloading data.

-MS

Re: ORC does not support type conversion from INT to STRING.

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Is that a distro from Hortonworks? In that case what Matthew mentioned may
be valid. Unless you go through pain of inserting using CAST function?

HTH

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

such loss, damage or destruction.

Posted by Mahender Sarangam <Ma...@outlook.com>.
But we are using Hive 1.2 version

On 7/19/2016 12:43 PM, Mich Talebzadeh wrote:
in Hive 2,  I don't see this issue INSERT/SELECT from INT to String column!

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn  https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=AAEAAAAWh2gBxianrbJd6zP6AcPCCdOABUrV8Pw

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

Disclaimer: Use it at your own risk. Any and all responsibility for any loss, damage or destruction of data or any other property which may arise from relying on this email's technical content is explicitly disclaimed. The author will in no case be liable for any monetary damages arising from such loss, damage or destruction.

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mathew,