Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "hoodoo@ziplip.com" <ho...@ziplip.com> on 2003/05/11 00:39:13 UTC

[users@httpd] FileLock troubles

Good day to all. I'm new to the list.

I've got the ServerRoot NFS mounted, and httpd.conf warns me that I'd better use the LockFile Directive, if I want to save myself a headache.I need the logs to be NFS mounted due to some custom stuff on the box that's not relevant to this issue. The problem I'm running into is that the lock file I specify is simply not being created. seemingly nothing applicable in the error log.
I'm running FreeBSD 4.3 stable, built apache by hand (not from ports).
Here's httpd -V:

Server version: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)
Server built:   May 10 2003 16:44:36
Server's Module Magic Number: 19990320:13
Server compiled with....
 -D HAVE_MMAP
 -D USE_MMAP_SCOREBOARD
 -D USE_MMAP_FILES
 -D HAVE_FLOCK_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D SO_ACCEPTFILTER
 -D ACCEPT_FILTER_NAME="httpready"
 -D HTTPD_ROOT="/usr"
 -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/sbin/suexec"
 -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="/var/run/httpd.pid"
 -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="/var/run/httpd.scoreboard"
 -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="/var/run/httpd.lock"
 -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="/var/log/httpd/error_log"
 -D TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="/etc/httpd/conf/mime.types"
 -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf"
 -D ACCESS_CONFIG_FILE="/etc/httpd/conf/access.conf"
 -D RESOURCE_CONFIG_FILE="/etc/httpd/conf/srm.conf"

Applicable entries from httpd.conf:

ServerRoot "/usr" # this is on local filesystem
#ServerRoot "/home/httpd/html" # NFS mounted

LockFile /var/run/httpd.lock
So, this LockFile never gets created.

Also, apache doesn't seem to complain at startup:
bash-2.05# apachectl start
/usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd started
bash-2.05# echo $?
0

I'm awful confused. I've never needed to use the LockFile directive before, and can't find very much helpful info on the web. Does anybody have this working on FreeBSD? advice/comments/ pointers towards pertinent places to RTFM on this subject ALL greatly appreciated. TIA,
   -Blake S.

Re: [users@httpd] FileLock troubles

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sat, 10 May 2003, hoodoo@ziplip.com wrote:
> LockFile /var/run/httpd.lock
> So, this LockFile never gets created.

This is usually nothing to worry about.  Apache creates the lock file only
if it is using an accept-locking method that needs it.  In your case, it
probably isn't needed.

Joshua.