Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Olivier Heintz <ho...@nereide.biz> on 2012/03/20 10:15:29 UTC

Lose Weight Program for OFBiz JCR function

New thread for only JCR funstion

Summary of initial discussion:

Jacoppo:
>  N) framework/jcr: move back into the Jackrabbit branch until the work is completed and can replace the existing "content framework"

Hans:
 >> Also moving the JCR function out is not a good idea however when not
improved in the next few months using the content manager, i would agree
to a removal.

Jacoppo
>>>  Keep it mind we are preparing for the creation of the new release branch (12.04): this would mean that all the future releases for 12.04 will be bundled with an incomplete JCR/Jackrabbit integration that duplicates (but not replaces) the existing Component framework. This is alone a good reason for moving this work back to the development branch and will save a lot of future work in backporting features if security issues or bugs will be discovered.

IMO, jcr will be a good enhancement in ofbiz, but currently we(the company I'm working for) are using content component in a lot of place, product, workeffort, project, party, custRequest, ....  to manage files, so we area waiting the next step of the jcr OFBiz (content) integration.
Meanwhile this second step, if jcr  was a plugin, we will use it for some new customer project (and maybe contribute on ;-) but not use it for older customer which currently works with OFBiz solution to avoid using not completely implement feature.
So IMO, jcr should move, branch or extra, but I prefer as a plugin to be able to used it easily.

Re: Lose Weight Program for OFBiz JCR function

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Nicolas Malin" <ma...@librenberry.net>
> Le 20/03/2012 11:48, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
>> Or alternatively we could:
>>
>> 1) keep it in framework
>> 2) but remove it from the upcoming new release branch 12.04
>> 3) and then, as a community, we could start the effort (i.e. top priority for upcoming contributions/commits) of defining the set
>> of requirements needed by the applications to replace the existing Content framework, finalizing the architecture and start
>> working all on the implementation and migration of existing applications: this would mean that the community will focus on this
>> refactoring effort for a while (postponing any other new development to focus the energy)
> I agree, refactoring content to separate a little more technical and functional element, it's not easier to implement JCR without
> a main reflexion on content.
>
> We implement an EDM with content and an interface between document repository (file, text, sound) and content service appears
> needed, independently than JCR (open the plugin document engine solution :) )

Could be part of the proposed join effort...

Jacques

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ma...@librenberry.net>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Sounds like a plan

Jacques

From: "Sascha Rodekamp" <sa...@googlemail.com>

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@nereide.fr>.
Le 20/03/2012 13:18, Sascha Rodekamp a écrit :
> Hi,
>
>> 1) keep it in framework
> +1
>
>> 2) but remove it from the upcoming new release branch 12.04
> +1 - for now the JCR implementation provide the the developer an API
> which helps to create, read, update or delete content in the
> repository. We have no integration in other (i.e. the content)
> applications. So there is no problem to keep the jcr implementation
> out of release 12.04.
>
>> 3) and then, as a community, we could start the effort
> +1 - that was the intention of the Jira Task OFBIZ-4659. There is a
> lot work to do.
> I like the idea having a roadmap, that could possibly speed up the
> development and let people focus on certain features...
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Sascha

Works for me.

--
Erwan de FERRIERES
www.nereide.biz

Re: Lose Weight Program for OFBiz JCR function

Posted by Sascha Rodekamp <sa...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

> 1) keep it in framework
+1

Posted by Sascha Rodekamp <sa...@googlemail.com>.
> I don't think JCR should be handled by a plugin. It should be part of core
> framework.
> And, while at it, I don't think it should replace all Content component
> (notably all its data model, and more anyway).
> It's just a better way to handle content repositories (JCR = Java Content
> Repository ;o): content should not go in DB
> We already discussed about reasons for that (versionning, webdav access,
> external HTML editors, etc.)

That is the master plan.

IMHO there is no reason to build a JCR plugin for Ofbiz, i don't see
any real benefit of it.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
+1

Thanks Anne, easier when neat :o)