Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Ian Cook <ia...@ursacomputing.com> on 2023/02/01 04:00:58 UTC

Arrow community meeting February 1 at 17:00 UTC

Hi all,

Our biweekly Arrow community meeting is tomorrow at 17:00 UTC / 12:00 EST.

Zoom meeting URL:
https://zoom.us/j/87649033008?pwd=SitsRHluQStlREM0TjJVYkRibVZsUT09
Meeting ID: 876 4903 3008
Passcode: 958092

Thanks,
Ian

Re: Arrow community meeting February 1 at 17:00 UTC

Posted by Ian Cook <ia...@ursacomputing.com>.
The notes for this and future instances of this meeting will be
captured in this Google Doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xrji8fc6_24TVmKiHJB4ECX1Zy2sy2eRbBjpVJMnPmk/
A copy of the notes from this week's meeting are also included below:

2023-02-01

Attendees:

- Ian Cook
- Nic Crane
- Raúl Cumplido
- Dewey Dunnington
- Will Jones
- David Li
- Bryce Mecum
- Rok Mihevc
- Sri Nadukudy
- Dane Pitkin
- Soumya Sanyal
- Matthew Topol
- Jacob Wujciak

Mailing list label/tag guidance for new contributors (Bryce Mecum)
- Should we use tags like “[DISCUSS]” and “[RFC]” in addition to the
language tags in the subject line of emails?
- There is currently no documentation of what practices we should use
to tag/label emails to the mailing lists, even for commonly used tags
- Other common mailing list conventions (like saying whether your vote
is binding or non-binding) are also not formally documented anywhere
- For some users, it is not immediately obvious that they should label
their emails with the language implementation
- The consensus seems to be that it is worth documenting this on the
Arrow Community page of the website [1]
- Bryce will open a PR

Should Rust ADBC libraries be in apache/arrow-adbc? (Will Jones)
- Should the Rust ADBC libraries be released per the Rust library
release schedule or the ADBC library release schedule?
- Considerations include: whether it will be used within the Rust
ecosystem (or as a standalone tool that uses Rust); which component it
should have tighter integration testing with; what is most convenient
for development

Known alternatives to Plasma [2] that we can point users to? (Will Jones)
- For context: Plasma was added to Arrow C++ by Ray developers, but
has no active maintainers any longer and is deprecated and planned for
removal in 12.0.0 [3]
- Plasma continues to exist as an internal utility in Ray [4]
- Weston Pace has been considering how we might solve some of the
problems that Plasma solves, but by building on existing Arrow
interfaces instead of taking a general-purpose approach like Plasma

Release 11.0.0 status (Raúl Cumplido)
- Arrow 11.0.0 has been released
- There are some post-release tasks still in progress, including
downstream packaging and distribution tasks
- Raúl will merge the blog post PR and make an announcement on the
mailing list soon
- PR workflow automation (Raúl Cumplido)
- Raúl has proposed to implement some automation to improve the PRs
and issues workflows; feedback is welcome in the mailing list thread
[5]

Canonical TensorArray extension type [6] (Rok Mihevc)
- This would be the first canonical extension type since we adopted
the framework for that
- Looking for input from users/developers who are familiar with
working with tensor/multidimensional array data

nanoarrow release process (Dewey Dunnington)
- Dewey is hoping to do a 0.1 release candidate in the next couple of weeks

Jira to GitHub migration (Ian Cook)
- There was a discussion in the previous biweekly meeting about how
with GitHub Issues we cannot associate bug issues with two
milestones—one representing the next (possible/actual) maintenance
release and one representing the next major release—like we used to
with Jira; the newly proposed “backport candidate” provides a solution
to this [7]
- The migration dry-run repos discussed in the previous meeting have
been deleted
- Some users have reported that Jira offered richer options for
filtering issues than GitHub does

Can we better promote this and other Arrow community meetings? (Ian Cook)
- Information about this meeting and the Arrow R developers meeting is
shared in biweekly emails Arrow dev mailing list
- The Arrow Rust community used to have a sync meeting but stopped
having regular dedicated meetings in 2021
- Do any other Arrow language sub-communities hold regular meetings?
- We could better promote these biweekly meetings, not just on the mailing lists
- Ian will open a PR to add information about these meetings to the
Arrow Community page of the website [1]

[1] https://arrow.apache.org/community/
[2] https://arrow.apache.org/docs/python/plasma.html
[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread/nw232k2lzmg9kcl8ts475m9ybl34j81p