Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> on 2012/01/03 18:57:19 UTC

Re: Forks without concensus?

Hey hey,

(Pff. I like replying in-line but this is a hard e-mail to reply to
in-line so I will top post.)

If I understand your policy question: will apache allow an incubating
community to show up and start a project when they are forking another
project?

I'd say, in general, yes, probably, if all the other criteria we have
are satisfied.

But, well, what if that other project is open source already, and some
people don't want the fork to exist at apache? Well, then probably
something is "wrong" in the first place, and it needs to be
investigated. Why, otherwise would a group of people show up that want
to fork at all?

I think it quickly becomes a judgement call.

On the one hand, should apache try and avoid getting tangled up into a
complex mess just because it is complex and messy? No, I don't think
so. If anything, apache is supposed to be good at helping people sort
out their complex messes. If we have mentors willing and able to help,
let's try and help.

On the other hand, should apache make sure that it's considerable
weight is not mistakenly thrown behind an initiative that somehow goes
against our core values (an open, collaborative, consensus-based
process)? Absolutely.

Etc.

So the generic policy is there is no generic policy, and instead there
is appropriate application of judgement to specific cases.

cheerio,

Leo