Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Andy Jefferson <an...@datanucleus.org> on 2008/08/18 16:41:00 UTC

JDK level support in JDO

Hi,

all previous JDO releases have always supported JDKs 1.3 and above.
JDO2.1 started providing the "api2-legacy" for JDK1.3/4, and "api2" for
JDK1.5+ specifics.

Just a note about DataNucleus AccessPlatform support levels.
1. AccessPlatform 1.0 will be the last release that will support JDK1.3/1.4.
2. AccessPlatform 1.1 will support JDK1.5+ only.

AccessPlatform 1.0 will be branched at its 1.0 final release (start of Sept)
and there could be minor releases on that branch after this point, but we
just don't have the resources to support 2 branches for any period.

What are the Apache JDO timescales for dropping support for JDK1.3/1.4 ?
Perhaps make JDO2.2 the final release supporting JDK1.3/1.4?

--
Andy  (DataNucleus - http://www.datanucleus.org)

Re: JDK level support in JDO

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Andy,

On Aug 18, 2008, at 7:41 AM, Andy Jefferson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> all previous JDO releases have always supported JDKs 1.3 and above.
> JDO2.1 started providing the "api2-legacy" for JDK1.3/4, and "api2"
> for
> JDK1.5+ specifics.
>
> Just a note about DataNucleus AccessPlatform support levels.
> 1. AccessPlatform 1.0 will be the last release that will support
> JDK1.3/1.4.
> 2. AccessPlatform 1.1 will support JDK1.5+ only.
>
> AccessPlatform 1.0 will be branched at its 1.0 final release (start
> of Sept)
> and there could be minor releases on that branch after this point,
> but we
> just don't have the resources to support 2 branches for any period.
>

> What are the Apache JDO timescales for dropping support for
> JDK1.3/1.4 ?
> Perhaps make JDO2.2 the final release supporting JDK1.3/1.4?

I'd be happy with either JDO 2.1 or JDO 2.2 being the last release to
support the legacy JVMs. Subject to the community, of course (and
subject to people to do the work).

There's real work in migrating the 2.2 work done so far to the 2.1
platform, and I'd be happy to help a volunteer to do it. Not so keen
on doing all the work myself.

Craig

> --
> Andy  (DataNucleus - http://www.datanucleus.org)