Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Manu Zhang <ow...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/29 04:59:49 UTC

how to implement a client with off-heap memory

Hi all,

I've been writing a client on Cassandra Thrift API. The client will read
almost 1G of data into JVM heap and thus its performance suffers from GC
operations.
To reduce latency, I'm currently thinking about implementing an off-heap
memory (just like that of RowCache) to hold data and manage it myself.
The problem is that with Thrift API I read all the data as "List<KeySlice>"
directly into heap.
Is there a work around? Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.
Thanks!

Re: how to implement a client with off-heap memory

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
The thrift client is just auto generated code, if you really wanted to you may be able to change / override it to modify the SerDe when it pulls things off the wire.

Not sure if this does what you are looking for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2478

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer