Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by rushi_rashi <ru...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/18 06:46:04 UTC

When will be the data written to Swap Memory

Hi,
I have question related to swap memory.
If we have set setSwapEnabled to true,
a. When will be the data is written to disc?
b. If by default data is written to disc only when free space is not
available in RAM, then can we limit the usage of RAM, lets say write to disc
when 80% of RAM is used. Although eviction policy writes data to off heap
memory but not to disc.

Re: When will be the data written to Swap Memory

Posted by vdpyatkov <vl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

If I correct understand you are mean Ignite 1.X.

Using swap depends of your cache configuration, you can to specifay whole
chain when data puts on java heap, after evicts to off-heap and swaps to
disk at last. You should to specify an eviction policy for the rules from
on-haep to off-heap, configure offHeapMaxMemory for assign maximum RAM
capacity on particular node (data will be evicted by LRU policy from off-hep
to disk) and raised flag swapEnabled for enable dist swap (otherwise data
will by disappear).
For more information you cat look at the article[1]

Also, if you are interesting what are that changes in Apache Ignite 2.x you
should look that[2].

[1]: https://apacheignite.readme.io/v1.9/docs/off-heap-memory#swap-space
[2]: https://apacheignite.readme.io/v2.0/docs/page-memory