Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2005/09/13 21:09:16 UTC

Side effects of quoting all column names in "CREATE TABLE" statement?

I've been lurking on ddlutils-dev@db.apache.org and spotted this issue
come through:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DDLUTILS-15

The suggestion is to quote all column names in the table create. But I
think that thereafter the user would always have to retain those quotes
unless he or she happened to enter the object name in upper case, right?
At a minimum, that would need to be documented.

any opinions?

thanks,

  -jean

Re: Side effects of quoting all column names in "CREATE TABLE" statement?

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Jean,

I certainly agree that it could prove very frustrating to someone
banging ad hoc queries into a sql interpreter. However, it could work
for an application if all queries come out of a code generator. It
addresses the author's concern: it helps the engineer working in the sql
portability layer of the application who has to struggle with the fact
that reserved keywords vary among databases. It could also be useful for
an IDE which lets developers give columns descriptive names that include
illegal characters like spaces.

Just some random thoughts. :)

Cheers,
-Rick