Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> on 2012/01/18 01:17:38 UTC

[Discuss] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator"

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Christian Grobmeier
<gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I doubt writing some more documentation on
>> some webpage about yet another set of responsibilities
>> for yet another role will make a material
>> difference to anyone's behavior.  Under Noel
>> we have run the Incubator as a member entitlement
>> program, and the generally poor quality of
>> mentoring is the natural result of that.
>
> If we can't find a champion willing to do this task we shouldn't
> accept the podling.
> This levels the bar to enter the incubator, but probably helps that we
> do not accept every podling which sounds cool.
> Better less but well-cared podlings.

I am choosing not to participate in this vote (my feeling is that in
some cases it will definitely be helpful, in others it likely won't
cause much harm, so treat my silence as +/- 0).

But I am commenting on this thread (changing the subject line en
passant) as I don't believe that one size fits all.  In particular, I
think that ooo has benefited from having multiple active mentors.   I
also believe that while that podling has quite a few challenges, being
able to produce a full and complete report is not one of them.  I also
sense a strong intent to graduate.

> How to care on what we have now is another question.

I expect this vote to pass, and if it does, I am willing to champion JSPWiki.

- Sam Ruby

Re: [Discuss] Clarify the role of the Champion as an "incubation coordinator"

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Christian Grobmeier
> <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I doubt writing some more documentation on
>>> some webpage about yet another set of responsibilities
>>> for yet another role will make a material
>>> difference to anyone's behavior.  Under Noel
>>> we have run the Incubator as a member entitlement
>>> program, and the generally poor quality of
>>> mentoring is the natural result of that.
>>
>> If we can't find a champion willing to do this task we shouldn't
>> accept the podling.
>> This levels the bar to enter the incubator, but probably helps that we
>> do not accept every podling which sounds cool.
>> Better less but well-cared podlings.
>
> I am choosing not to participate in this vote (my feeling is that in
> some cases it will definitely be helpful, in others it likely won't
> cause much harm, so treat my silence as +/- 0).
>
> But I am commenting on this thread (changing the subject line en
> passant) as I don't believe that one size fits all.  In particular, I
> think that ooo has benefited from having multiple active mentors.   I
> also believe that while that podling has quite a few challenges, being
> able to produce a full and complete report is not one of them.  I also
> sense a strong intent to graduate.
>
>> How to care on what we have now is another question.
>
> I expect this vote to pass, and if it does, I am willing to champion JSPWiki.

If its still here I was wondering about one of the Kato guys being
their champion ;)

   ...ant