Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au> on 2005/10/01 18:38:27 UTC

Re: Collaborative editing with Gobby

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ross Gardler" <rg...@apache.org>
To: <de...@forrest.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 5:47 PM
Subject: Re: Collaborative editing with Gobby

| Sjur Moshagen wrote:
| > Den 29. sep. 2005 kl. 20.10 skrev Nicola Ken Barozzi:
| >
| >> In this way during real-time collaborative sessions, we can all code
| >> together, or see others code.
| >>
| >> http://socialsoftware.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000410060570/
| >> http://gobby.0x539.de/
|

| Nice! (shame it is GPL, but we can still use it)
|
|  > About meeting memos:
| >
| > We write them in the forrest-supported jspwiki format collaboratively
| > while conducting the meeting (all contributing), and when the meeting
| > is over, the memo is ready (in principle, at least:-), and directly
| > published to xml->html with forrest. Since all contributed to the  memo,
| > there's really no need to review the notes. Instant publishing  - for
real!

| I really like this. Perhaps we can use Gobby instead of IRC for future
| Forrest Tuesdays. The problem I have with the last two Forrest Tuesdays
| is that nobody has the time to write up the IRC logs and reading them
| after the event is not all that helpful - too difficult to follow.
|
| I notice that Gobby has an IRC like chat client built in. Given Sjur's
| experiences above I'd like to run a test session with a couple of
| people. Just 10-20 minutes playing with it to see if we can use it for
| Forrest Tusedays.
|
| If we can get just three people to drop in at the same time that owuld
| be great. So we are not wasting our time we could use the session to
| write a How-To on doing collaborative meetings. Please raise your hand
| if you will attend (meeting time being suitable of course).
|
| Ross

I have Gobby installed successfully on my Win System and can either host
or join the session, if it happens.

Looks a great tool.

Gav...

Re: Collaborative editing with Gobby

Posted by Diwaker Gupta <di...@apache.org>.
We have an IRC channel #forrest-gobby open on Freenode if people need
help with Gobby.

--
Web/Blog/Gallery: floatingsun.net

Re: Collaborative editing with Gobby

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
psaddi wrote:
> On Saturday October 01 2005 12:38 pm, Gav.... wrote:

>>| If we can get just three people to drop in at the same time that owuld
>>| be great. So we are not wasting our time we could use the session to
>>| write a How-To on doing collaborative meetings. Please raise your hand
>>| if you will attend (meeting time being suitable of course).
> - Addi

OK, there are lots of people wanting to try. I'm going to just state a
time I will be online and see how many people are able to join in.

This is an informal test so don't worry if you can't make it, if this
test goes well, we'll try something a little more formal for a Forrest
Tuesday (but we need to sort out the mac installation issues first,
until then we stick with IRC).

We will use Gobby to create a How To on participating in a Forrest
Tuesday event using Gobby. I've already created the skeleton for this
document. We need to get things like install gotchas into the document.
If anyone has a Mac and can figure out the install for that platform it
would be superb. If it works out we'll have a useful document, if not
we'll no not to try Gobby until more work is carried out.

So...

I will be hosting a session from 10pm until 11pm BST Sunday 2nd [1]. To
get my IP address and the password for the session email me privately
(anytime) or if you can SKYPE [2] me (username rgardler).

I will check my email periodically during the session so if someone is
trying to connect but can't just send an email to this list, we'll help
try and sort it out here.

[1]
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2005&month=10&day=2&hour=21&min=0&sec=0
[2] http://www.skype.com

Re: Collaborative editing with Gobby

Posted by addi <ad...@rocktreesky.com>.
On Saturday October 01 2005 12:38 pm, Gav.... wrote:
... snip ...
> | I really like this. Perhaps we can use Gobby instead of IRC for future
> | Forrest Tuesdays. The problem I have with the last two Forrest Tuesdays
> | is that nobody has the time to write up the IRC logs and reading them
> | after the event is not all that helpful - too difficult to follow.
> |
> | I notice that Gobby has an IRC like chat client built in. Given Sjur's
> | experiences above I'd like to run a test session with a couple of
> | people. Just 10-20 minutes playing with it to see if we can use it for
> | Forrest Tusedays.
> |
> | If we can get just three people to drop in at the same time that owuld
> | be great. So we are not wasting our time we could use the session to
> | write a How-To on doing collaborative meetings. Please raise your hand
> | if you will attend (meeting time being suitable of course).
> |
> | Ross
>
> I have Gobby installed successfully on my Win System and can either host
> or join the session, if it happens.
>
> Looks a great tool.
>
> Gav...

I have it installed on Ubuntu and WinXP and should be around now for sessions.
I'm pretty flexible with times.

- Addi