Posted to dev@excalibur.apache.org by hammett <ha...@uol.com.br> on 2005/06/16 06:45:12 UTC

[Not yet a proposal]: Excalibur Container

Hi there,

Hitting the same button again - sorry! - I'd like to re-open the discussion
about a container implementation, still based on the old suggestion from Leo
Sutic, but this time using Java 1.5.

Rationale:
- Java 5 has nice features that may allow us to code a container different
from anything currently available
- An excalibur container has no relation to Fortress/Phoenix/any other which
translates in freedom on its implementation, design and functionality
- We don't even have to think about an avalon container, just focus on
Inversion of control and its meaning. An avalon adapter could come
gracefully from a good design
- For those, like myself, that haven't dig into java 5, that would be a
great opportunity :-)

Thoughts?

--
Cheers,
hammett

Re: [Not yet a proposal]: Excalibur Container

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
hammett wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Hitting the same button again - sorry! - I'd like to re-open the
> discussion about a container implementation, still based on the old
> suggestion from Leo Sutic, but this time using Java 1.5.
>
> Rationale:
> - Java 5 has nice features that may allow us to code a container
> different from anything currently available
> - An excalibur container has no relation to Fortress/Phoenix/any other
> which translates in freedom on its implementation, design and functionality
> - We don't even have to think about an avalon container, just focus on
> Inversion of control and its meaning. An avalon adapter could come
> gracefully from a good design
> - For those, like myself, that haven't dig into java 5, that would be a
> great opportunity :-)
>
> Thoughts?

I've done alot with that in Dojo, using Java 5:

http://scm.d-haven.org/svn/d-haven/trunk/dojo/

There's alot of fun stuff.

Oh, BTW, one thing you can do with Java5 and ComponentManager:

interface ComponentManager
{
     <T> T lookup(Class<T>);
}

What that allows you to do when using the CM is something like this:

CacheManager cache = cm.lookup(CacheManager.class);

No casting, and using the interface to do the lookup!  Very convenient.

Nevertheless, just take a look at what I've done so far and see if it
makes sense.  I strove for simplicity.

--
Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
But of course, if you dig deeper, it's really how it works.

                                                        -- Steve Jobs

Re: [Not yet a proposal]: Excalibur Container

Posted by hammett <ha...@uol.com.br>.
Hey Berin,

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
hammett wrote:

> I'm aware that Berin has created a container implementation using Java
> 1.5, I have dig into it when I was researching to create the current
> version of castle microkernel. We could go from Berin's work or ask him
> what he would have done differently now, and then start from there.
> Everyone here - due all past and work experience - should have a perfect
> view of what make up a good container implementation. As long as we work
> - peacefully - on an intersection, we will be in good shape.

I think the best aspect of what I did was to be DI flavor of the week
agnostic.  I intentionally developed a system that would allow Spring
style components, Avalon style components, and PicoContainer style
components all live peacefully together.

I kept things simple by mapping one "Dojo" per component style du jour,
and incorporated the concept of a "MultiDojo" which could resolve
component implementations from the set of Dojos which made that up.

Can there be AOP?  Absolutely.  It should be relatively easy to
implement within this scheme.

I was in the process of incorporating security into the model, and that
resulted in the J5Sec project.  I think I have yet to incorporate it in
to the Dojo suite.  It is imperative that a Dojo that uses remote
components has a robust security model.

One of the things I had in mind was having an implementation of a "Budo"
(the integration piece that let's Dojo interact with components of that
school of thought) that would merely be proxies that called a remote
service.  That service could be an RMI implementation, or more usefully
a Web Service.

Posted by hammett <ha...@uol.com.br>.
Posted by hammett <ha...@uol.com.br>.
Hey Eric, still owing you a beer :-)

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
I would just suggest that the name of the container not be
Excalibur..  there is enough baggage around that as is.  Also, how
would you differentiate from Spring/Nano?

I guess I am wondering from a  marketing perspective "why is your
product better" (even if it's just ideas at this point!)?

Will it be the implementation based on Java 5 features?

Will it be the support for existing components?

Will it be some sort of new technique that makes setting up a
container easy/better?

Eric Pugh

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@apache.org>.
hammet,

Posted by hammett <ha...@uol.com.br>.
Thanks, dude ;-)

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On 16-06-2005 06:45, "hammett" <ha...@uol.com.br> wrote:
> Thoughts?

I love where you've taken castle and the surrounding .net stuff. It would no
doubt benefit the java world a whole lot if you could bring some of those
innovations over the fence.

I'm probably not going to be able to participate. Stretched too thin
already.

- LSD