Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> on 2006/04/28 22:18:32 UTC

Re: "API"

Jesse Glick wrote:
> Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
>
>> I assume that there are no extensions (by API programmers) of the
>> Metamata and of the Sitraka JProbe tasks.
>>
>> To the contrary, it is possible that there are API users who use for
>> instance the Project#resolveFile() methods.
>

> Hmm, it would be nice if we actually published an API so people could
> know for sure. :-) The habit of making everything public and nonfinal
> and throwing all classes into one namespace (with full Javadoc) means we
> are pretty limited in the kinds of refactorings we can do without
> breaking unknown parties.
>
> -J.

True,  but in OSS-land, what else can you do. I and others on the Xom
user list regularly have discourse with elliotte rusty harold on making
this or that method public, as he's chosen the 'hide the entire
implementation by default' algorithm. Yes it gives you flexibilty for
the implementor, but its not clear the end users gain.