Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Venkateswarlu Bommineni <bv...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/03 15:32:44 UTC

Solr crashing / slowing down the performance

Hi Team,

Background:

We have a Solr 6.2 having multiple cores ( Six cores ) in it , We have
other system (CMS) that will push the data to Solr.

Issue:

When ever we are doing full index from other system (installed in different
box) , some times Solr JVM is crashing.sometimes even don't crash the query
performance is very slow especially AutoSuggestion query (using spellCheck
component).

Please find the below memory settings:
[image: Inline image 1]

Please help me in setting optimal memory settings.

Thanks,
Venkat.

Re: Solr crashing / slowing down the performance

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
With 8GB of RAM and 5.5 GB of Java memory, there is zero room for caching indexes. The OS will eat a gigabyte or so, then there are other processes running. So either the index accesses are pounding on the disk or the Java heap is getting swapped out.

This machine is too small. The smallest Solr machine we deploy, even in test and dev, has 15 GB of RAM, SSD disks, and has an 8 GB Java heap. In prod, we run with enough RAM that the entire index can live in RAM file buffers.

We don’t do a lot of faceting or other memory-intensive queries. We mostly just search.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.