Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/09 13:53:28 UTC

Re: [axis2] Re: svn commit: r559011 - in /webservices/axis2/trunk/java/modules: addressing/src/META-INF/ integration/conf/ integration/test-resources/deployment/ integration/test-resources/mtom/ integration/test-resources/swa/ integration/test/org/ap

Apologies for jumping in late! Please see my comments below:

On 7/30/07, David Illsley <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah, the perrenial ws-sec+ws-a problem.
> This is a really complex issue, and unfortunately I don't think it can
> be resolved this simply i.e. what happens if security rejects the ws-a
> headers as invalid? There isn't any code to roll-back the ws-a related
> fields in the message context, so suddenly one of the main reasons to
> require signed ws-a headers (preventing your server from being used to
> DoS via ReplyTo) is bypassed.
>
> I think we probably need to split the addressing processing itself
> into 2 parts - the first which provides a guess of the AxisOperation
> based onthe To/Action/RelatesTo and the second which does the full
> ws-a processing (afer the security handler).

I'm trying to understand the various placements of the addressing
dispatcher and its affect on the DoS attack that David mentioned.
Please correct me if I have missed something.

With the addressing dispatcher running before the security handler
- An attacker changes the signed ReplyTo header of a message to a service
- Addressing handled extracts this information and addressing
dispatcher finds the operation.
- Signature verification fails and the fault is sent to the *changed*
ReplyTo address

Now with David's proposal (The way I understood it) the earlier three
steps happen anyway ... its true that the fault is sent to the changed
ReplyTo but the message never reaches the service in either case.

Now ... In case of a aync message invocation, even if we do *not* do
any addressing processing/dispatch before security processing when
signature verification fails due to someone modifying an addressing
header we will not be able to send an asyc response anyway, since at
the point where processing fails we  do not know the ReplyTo address.

David can you please explain how the DoS attack happen with the
current approach and how it can be prevented by splitting addressing
based dispatching?

Thanks,
Ruchith

www.ruchith.org